Community

IP-Filtering Doesn't work for Internet-ID Connection?

Links used in this discussion
Tu FONG, User (Posts: 1)
Jan 29, 2015 11:13:55 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
I'm wondering if the Remote Utilities secure enough with just an internet-ID and a password.
The IP-filtering feature can be a very good idea in order to have a stricter security rule.
However, it seems that the IP-filtering setting is only vaild for direct-IP connection. Am I correct?
Are there any difficulties in filtering the IP connecting to the Host using internet-ID? If it is possible, I think it could make the users more comfortable to have IP-filtering options in all connection methods, right?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jan 30, 2015 11:06:59 am EST
Hello Tu,

Thank you for your message.

IP filtering for ID connection doesn't make sense because this connection is established through our servers. Anyone who knows the ID and password of the remote computer can connect to it.

Perhaps this year we'll also add a two-factor authentication.
Nate Bergeron, User (Posts: 4)
Feb 03, 2015 3:34:49 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
There's an exception to that. If you host your own server, there's an IP filter option. I've never used it, but it'll do what you're looking for. You'll have to check it out.

From the manual:
The IP-Filtering facility in Gateway Mediation Server, when used, allows or denies connection to the GMS only from the specified IP address or IP address range/ranges. The filter applies to connections from both the Viewer and Host side.
Feb 03, 2015 6:30:09 pm EST
In a sense, yes. By using the IP filter on the RU Server you narrow the list of remote IP addresses with which the server is allowed to communicate. But then again, the IP address of the Viewer or Host may be changing - for example, when the Viewer is installed on a laptop and the laptop travels with its owner often.

So it is only recommended to use the filter if you are sure that Viewers and Hosts fall into a certain IP range and will stay in that range.
Feb 03, 2015 6:31:18 pm EST
BTW, the manual is going to be updated very soon.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)