New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Host will not Launch

Phil Stokes, User (Posts: 3)
Apr 08, 2015 11:39:31 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi,
No, I'm trying to start it from the Windows start menu shortcut. Also if I try and start the "Settings for Host" from the Start menu I get the same thing i.e. a UAC message, then nothing at all.
Phil
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Apr 08, 2015 1:35:56 pm EDT
Phil,

The information in #6 was a bit outdated. The correct registry path is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Remote Utilities\ . I have now also fixed/modified that old post.

First, try to simply remove that registry key, restart the PC and see if the Host works. If not, then you may try the same but with re-installing. Needless to say you must be an administrator on your PC when doing installation.
Phil Stokes, User (Posts: 3)
Apr 09, 2015 5:07:46 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi,
Thanks for your suggestions. I have now managed to get it going.
I'm not entirely sure where the issue lay but, one possible key fact I forgot to mention was that in order to uninstall my previous version 5.6 I had to resort to the Microsoft FixIt: "MicrosoftFixit.ProgramInstallUninstall" utility to remove it as the normal uninstall procedure kept giving errors saying the msi installer file was not valid.

What I hadn't done though was also uninstall the 5.6 Viewer at the same time. I did that this morning and once again had to use the FixIt uninstaller. Once that was done, I removed all traces of the Remote Utilities folders from the Program Files and Application Data areas(there were no registry keys there as I'd removed them on a previous attempt).

So the key difference was either eradicating all of the (possibly corrupt) Viewer prog too, or deleting those program files from their folder (or both).
Thanks for your efforts.
Hopefully this will help someone else.
Phil
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Apr 09, 2015 9:18:26 am EDT
Thanks for the info. Since Remote Utilities is a simple utility that doesn't leave a lot of traces, the conventional way of uninstalling it always wins.

Wiping the registry key is an additional measure to make sure the uninstall is complete and the Host settings are reset. But there's only one such key, so it's easily done manually and no additional tools are needed.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)