Community

remote computers show as locked

Links used in this discussion
Greg Allen, User (Posts: 7)
Aug 19, 2012 12:17:32 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
When I first open Viewer my remote computers appear to be locked until I try to view or control them and the lock symbol goes away. Is this normal or do I need to make some adjustments in the settings ?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Aug 19, 2012 2:11:39 pm EDT
Hi Greg,

This is normal. The Locked state means that the remote computer is visible (can be successfully pinged for example) but you are not logged on.
Aug 19, 2012 3:18:46 pm EDT
ok, thank you !
Aug 19, 2012 4:09:51 pm EDT
Well I clicked ping and nothing happens. I finally had to connect w view only for it to load. Also if I connect to them with control or only viewing. Can they tell when I do ?
Aug 19, 2012 5:21:35 pm EDT
Hi Greg,

Well I clicked ping and nothing happens.

The ping command is used only to tell if the remote computer is online. It has nothing to do with actually connecting.

I finally had to connect w view only for it to load.

Load what, sorry? What was that you wanted to accomplish? But just in case - if you want to use the "stand by" mode without actively connecting - just use the Logon command (available on the toolbar and in the context menu for selected remote PC in the connection list).

Also if I connect to them with control or only viewing. Can they tell when I do ?

Yes, the Host's icon in the system tray will turn red (from blue).
Aug 19, 2012 5:38:23 pm EDT
When I mean load I mean't by the computers icon wouldn't change from offline to showing their desktop. I knew about the icon changing colors, but does their background change or flicker or anything like that ?
Aug 19, 2012 5:58:09 pm EDT

When I mean load I mean't by the computers icon wouldn't change from offline to showing their desktop.

Make sure the "Auto-logon" feature is disabled. It's in the Properties for the target remote PC entry -> Security -> Auto-logon check box.

I knew about the icon changing colors, but does their background change or flicker or anything like that ?

Only the mouse pointer can flicker in certain circumstances. Say, when you enable 'Capture alpha-blending windows' in the Properties. And of course, if you connect in Full Control mode, the remote user will notice it by an unexpected movement of their mouse cursor.  
nikkil, User (Posts: 46)
Jan 13, 2013 2:44:56 pm EST
Yah. I got this one too. I never really affected the performance so I just went ahead and ignore it.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)