New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

RUT Server password reset

Michael Lewis, User (Posts: 32)
Sep 25, 2015 10:09:02 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Is there a way to change/reset the password given in "address books settings"?

If I turn off the password, it ask for the old password - which is not available. How can you force reset it OR turn it off without loosing the address book?

Which brings me to another question, if I have to destroy the address book, and create a new one, will the clients register with the new book?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Sep 25, 2015 10:20:25 am EDT
Hello Michael,

Is there a way to change/reset the password given in "address books settings"?

If I turn off the password, it ask for the old password - which is not available. How can you force reset it OR turn it off without loosing the address book?

It asks for the old password because the program needs to know that you are the person who is authorized to change the password. Otherwise anyone who has access to that PC with RU Server installed could change or reset the password which would make the whole idea of password protection irrelevant.

Which brings me to another question, if I have to destroy the address book, and create a new one, will the clients register with the new book?

Sorry, I didn't understand the question. Could you please clarify what you exactly mean by saying "will the clients register with the new book"?

Thanks.
Michael Lewis, User (Posts: 32)
Sep 25, 2015 10:34:45 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi Conrad,

I understand the premise of having it ask for the password; however, I was thinking that if the person has physical access to the machine then they could disable the function. It doesn't sound like it from how you describe it so I'm hoping for option #2!

Option#2:

If we delete the current address book that is built on the server and create a new one, will the remote clients auto-populate the new book? Do they care or know that they are in address book "XYZ" and I deleted XYZ and created ABC. Will they simply start populating ABC?
Edited:Michael Lewis - Sep 25, 2015 11:54:39 am EDT
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Sep 26, 2015 5:55:18 am EDT
Hello Michael,

I understand the premise of having it ask for the password; however, I was thinking that if the person has physical access to the machine then they could disable the function. It doesn't sound like it from how you describe it so I'm hoping for option #2!

No, this would be in violation of the common interface conventions. Whenever sensitive information such as a password is changed on a device, the user must provide the old password first. Otherwise, there is a security breach that could be exploited.

If we delete the current address book that is built on the server and create a new one, will the remote clients auto-populate the new book? Do they care or know that they are in address book "XYZ" and I deleted XYZ and created ABC. Will they simply start populating ABC?

By remote clients you mean other Viewers, correct? If so, you update the address book on the server by updating it in one of the Viewers, the address book on the server will then overwrite other books on other Viewers. At least that's how it works in theory.

Still, we are currently seriously improving the whole mechanism and the beta is coming soon. The only thing you should remember at all times in order to be safe is that you should back up your address book. By default the Viewer does that automatically for you though unless you changed the back up setting in the Options, but those backups are daily ones. So before you make any critical changes like updating the book on the server, it is recommended that you first back up your address book in the Viewer using "Export connections" option.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)