New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

No view on rotated screen

Links used in this discussion
Simon Threlfall-Searson, User (Posts: 3)
Apr 07, 2015 4:39:29 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
There was a previous post here - https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/forums/forum1/439-dell-venue-8-pro-5830_-full-control-or-view-only-mode-doesn_t-work-or-sometimes-view-rotate-90-degree-and-very-unstable

We have exactly the same problem.  We are using this product to support our customers, and have recently taken to deploying Windows 8 tablets to them.  Remote Utilities gives a completely useless, sideways-on, screen display when you try to connect to them.  If the tablet is used in the default (0 degrees rotation) mode then it works fine, but we have to lock these to either 90 or 270 degrees to support the application running on the tablet.

[censored] , on the other hand, works perfectly on these tabletss and sdjusts to whicheve angle of rotation the tablet is set to use, displaying it the right way up within the viewer.

This is a major issue as the only reason we purchased Remote Utilities was to enable us to support our customers - we are now looking at having to go and buy  [censored] instead to enable us to do what we need.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Apr 07, 2015 7:03:54 am EDT
Hello Simon,

Thank you for your report. Please, try the following:

1. On the Host computer - right click on the Host icon, select Settings for Host -> Options, and enable the "Use legacy capture mode" option.

2. Restart the Host computer/tablet.

Hope that helps.
Simon Threlfall-Searson, User (Posts: 3)
Apr 07, 2015 7:29:15 am EDT
Hi Conrad,

That seems to work perfectly thank you very much.  It may be worth making this clearer as an option for what it does.

Regards,

Simon
Apr 07, 2015 8:14:17 am EDT
Hi Simon,

Glad to hear it fixed the problem. This option was added for compatibility because of some screen capture algo changes in the recent Windows versions, namely 8/8.1.

Windows 10 looks more promising, btw.
Aaron Levinson, User (Posts: 9)
Jan 18, 2016 9:12:35 pm EST
I discovered this post through an Internet search.  I ran into the same issue on Windows 10 with the display rotated 270 degrees.  The problem clears up when switching to legacy capture mode (or with the screen rotated 0 degrees).  So, it would appear that the issue isn't fixed with Windows 10.
Jan 19, 2016 6:27:31 am EST
Hi Aaron,

Actually, the legacy capture mode setting is supposed to be used as a fix for exactly such issues. As it turned out, Windows 10 exhibits the same behavior in this respect as it was in Windows 8/8.1.
Jan 19, 2016 3:49:22 pm EST
Hi Conrad,

You had stated in an earlier post that "Windows 10 looks more promising", so I was basically responding to that.

However, what would be preferable is if Remote Utilities could somehow detect that screen capture won't work properly and implicitly switch to legacy capture mode.  When I first encountered this issue, I thought that it was likely that Remote Utilities had a bug.  If I hadn't been able to find this post, this would likely have been a showstopper for me.

Interestingly, this same issue, or one that is very similar, also exists for certain VNC servers.  Both TightVNC and UltraVNC are affected.  RealVNC works fine.

Thanks,
AaronL
Jan 19, 2016 5:27:02 pm EST
Hi Aaron,

I will note down the suggestion, of course. Perhaps, there is indeed a way to automatically detect and fix the issue, although it wouldn't be a good practice to change any settings without the user knowing. We'll see.

Thank you.
Jan 19, 2016 7:53:24 pm EST
I wasn't suggesting that Remote Utilities change a setting behind the user's back.  Instead, it could leave the setting as-is but internally use the legacy approach if it can detect that this is necessary.  If that is done, maybe the legacy capture setting can be removed (assuming it isn't useful for other reasons).  I would tend to think that automatically working around issues rather than requiring user intervention is preferable.
Jan 20, 2016 8:53:03 am EST
hi Aaron,

Yes, that makes perfect sense.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)