New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

host icon does not appear on desktop after installing host

Links used in this discussion
peter abramowich, User (Posts: 4)
Nov 17, 2016 10:25:14 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
I have installed host on my laptop and restarted it, however the host icon does not appear on my desktop.  I do however see on my desktop a backup restore icon.  Any ideas?  I have installed host twice as I did not find the host icon after the first installation - even after rebooting.  I deleted the first version prior to the second installation.

Peter
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Nov 17, 2016 2:14:58 pm EST
Hello Peter,

Thank you for your post.

Looks like the Host service won't start for some reason or installation got corrupted somehow. Could you tell me what the operating system is on the Host PC and which product version you use (stable or beta)?

You might also want to try to complete wipe the Host installation and re-install from scratch. See this documentation page. Note that if you are using the current beta version the registry key with Host settings is located here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Usoris\

Hope that helps.
Nov 17, 2016 8:27:48 pm EST
Hi Conrad, I am using windows 10 and i downloaded the current beta version.  I have uninstalled the program including the regedit.exe as you suggested incl. reboot but still without success.  The program is in c drive where it should be but no icon on desktop.  Do i need to go into program files to activate it somehow (though it doesn't say to do that in the instructions)?

I utilize free version of AVG on my own personal (not business) laptop.  

Peter
Nov 17, 2016 8:58:42 pm EST
Sorry, not beta....and version 6.3 (4)
Nov 18, 2016 7:58:40 am EST
Hi Peter,

No, you don't have to go anywhere to activate it, of course. The host should run upon installation and even restart is not needed in most cases.

This looks like antivirus software activity. Before you reinstall the Host, could you please add the Host installation path to your AVG exceptions list. The path is C:\Program Files\Remote Utilities - Host\* . Asterisk means "any file within the folder". If you have a 64-bit system your path will be C:\Program Files(x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\*

Also, I recommend you use the latest beta. You can download it here https://www.remoteutilities.com/download/beta.php
Nov 18, 2016 12:06:39 pm EST
Hi Conrad, the exception on avg did the trick.    I loaded the standard version with no issues and i have also tested the host computer with a viewer again with no issues.

Thank you
Nov 18, 2016 4:19:37 pm EST
Hi Peter,

You are welcome. I can assure you that we'll do our best to report as many false positives as we can and reduce the number of them to a minimum or even zero. Reporting false positives on our software to a/v software companies is an ongoing work that we do on a regular basis.

Don't hesitate to post here if you ever need any assistance.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)