New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Where is the Linux viewer?

Links used in this discussion
Jonathan Brickman, User (Posts: 1)
Jun 21, 2012 11:13:10 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I didn't see a place from which to download the Linux viewer; can you direct me?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jun 22, 2012 2:10:04 am EDT
Jonathan,

Viewer works on Linux under 'https://www.winehq.org/'. Use the regular Viewer download link.

UPDATE 2020: Native Viewer client is now available for Linux https://www.remoteutilities.com/download/linux.php
nikkil, User (Posts: 46)
Jan 27, 2013 8:43:45 am EST
Thanks. Wine looks like open source and might be a tough one to set up. Has anyone tried to set this up yet?
Jan 28, 2013 6:33:22 am EST

nikkil wrote:
Thanks. Wine looks like open source and might be a tough one to set up. Has anyone tried to set this up yet?

Wine is no more touch to set up than Linux. It's the matter of choice though - if one uses a Linux they should be ready to do some manual labor.  
levent özgür kaplan, User (Posts: 17)
Mar 04, 2013 5:25:32 pm EST
with wine not work!
Nate Bergeron, User (Posts: 4)
Feb 06, 2015 1:41:11 pm EST
I know that this isn't "officially" supported, but here's where I am with this:

My setup - Fedora 21 on Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga
What I've done:
- Install latest Wine
- Install Viewer.msi (works fine!)
- Connect to Remote computer, using IP address (works fine!)
- Everything works, but the toolbar at the top is hidden and remains hidden, can't send CTRL-ALT-DEL to unlock computer

- After that I searched and found the knowledgebase article above. I tried to follow the steps, but I couldn't install msxml in winetricks because I have a 64 bit wine system (default these days)
- Wiped my wine setup and restarted with a 32 bit wine prefix (see accepted answer here)
- Installed Viewer.msi on the 32 bit prefix after following the KB article
- Everything installs, but now there is issues connecting. I can log on to the remote computer, but when I try to enter full control, it just sticks a black screen saying "Connecting" (or something similar, can't remember). Also, I tried to change "Remote Settings" but it gave an error that our versions didn't match.
- Reverted to 64 bit install, still having issues. Everything works, except the toolbar
Feb 06, 2015 8:01:14 pm EST
Hello Nate,

Thank you for the detailed report! We will put it in our testing queue and see what's happening.
Michael Benten, User (Posts: 1)
Apr 24, 2018 11:10:45 am EDT
> Everything works, but the toolbar at the top is hidden and remains hidden, can't send
> CTRL-ALT-DEL to unlock computer

This is my situation too.
Any news to connect native (or with wine) from Linux?
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Apr 24, 2018 1:38:57 pm EDT
Michael,

We are planning to release Viewer for Linux together with Viewer for Mac.
Peter Newell, User (Posts: 4)
Aug 20, 2018 9:55:40 am EDT

Conrad wrote:
We are planning to release Viewer for Linux together with Viewer for Mac.

I'd love it if you would make a Host / Agent version for Linux!

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)