Community

Silent Deployment

Links used in this discussion
pasbad, User (Posts: 11)
Jan 17, 2017 7:34:21 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Can that be turned off so it waits for user input?
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jan 17, 2017 9:27:06 pm EST
Hello Pasbad,

Not in this version. But you made a good point, so we will completely remove the timeout in the next update which is due in a week or two (version 6.6.).

Let me know if you have other questions.
Jan 17, 2017 11:24:28 pm EST
That's great to hear.

On a side note, is it possible for a client to receive an internet ID regardless and move the user prompt to the first connection that's made to the host?
So the host will be ready to connect  after install (no prompts) but when the first remote connection is made (when we would probably be on the phone with the user trying to help them, and guide them on what to do) it will prompt them with the one off disclaimer.

It's just from a corporate deployment point of view, our main priority is to make it as transparent to the user as possible, so we would have to interact/notify users when it's only really necessary. e.g we will deploy the host to the users (they wouldn't even notice it being installed) and if anyone actually has an issue, we ring them up and ask them to accept the prompt that would pop up when we try to remote control their machines.
Jan 18, 2017 11:05:53 am EST
Hello,

On a side note, is it possible for a client to receive an internet ID regardless and move the user prompt to the first connection that's made to the host?
So the host will be ready to connect after install (no prompts) but when the first remote connection is made (when we would probably be on the phone with the user trying to help them, and guide them on what to do) it will prompt them with the one off disclaimer.

Unfortunately, no. At least not in the current version. Due to program architecture some connection modes can go completely unnoticed for the user, that's why we need a reliable "switch" - a 100% way to inform the user that Internet ID is generated on their computer and their PC is now accessible from the outside.

they wouldn't even notice it being installed

This is the very reason why this notification exist. We cannot make Remote Utilities 100% unnoticeable especially when Internet-ID connection is involved. This is a trait of rogue tools.  Sorry, we cannot and will not go that path.
Armin Jager, User (Posts: 12)
Feb 09, 2017 9:30:50 am EST
I'm still using  [censored] and there it is possible to install the msi-package complete silently. I have certain customers and about 250PCs to administrate. I'm willing to move from [censored] to RU, but there must be a way for silent deployment inside an active directory structure using its own ID-Server for authorization and relay. Most of my customers would click "No" if the dialog would appear after installation :)
Feb 09, 2017 10:13:28 am EST
Hello Armin,

Update on this issue. In the upcoming release 6.6 we decided to implement it differently. The program will be installed without requiring a user to accept anything and you 'll be able to get access right away. There will only be an informational message in the bottom right corner that says the program was installed.

That message is necessary to at least somehow let the user know. Once they click "Got it" in the message it'll disappear and will no longer be shown. Their clicking or not clicking the "Got it" button, however, doesn't affect your ability to connect right away. As I said, it's just a warning/informational message.

Will that work for you?
Armin Jager, User (Posts: 12)
Feb 09, 2017 10:24:43 am EST
Hello Conrad,

i'm glad to hear that :) Maybe there is an additional option in v6.7, which removes this "nag" screen as well :) No seriously, but that would be a step into the right direction. I really need the complete unattended (and 100% silently) installation inside an active directory structure. The user right before the screens are calling me for support even if a desktop icon changes due an update. My LMI license will expire somewhere in March 2017 and i just started to test your software with the free license and a couple of test clients. There are some other issues, which we could discuss in another thread. But i am really surprised what you (and your team) programmed - well done!
Feb 09, 2017 10:36:10 am EST
Hello Armin,

i'm glad to hear that :) Maybe there is an additional option in v6.7, which removes this "nag" screen as well :)

I'm sorry, that we cannot do. There must be at least something that notifies the user about software installed on their computer. Especially if that's remote access software.

There are some other issues, which we could discuss in another thread. But i am really surprised what you (and your team) programmed - well done!

Sure, feel free to submit your questions. We'll be happy to answer them.
Feb 09, 2017 4:23:59 pm EST

The program will be installed without requiring a user to accept anything and you 'll be able to get access right away. There will only be an informational message in the bottom right corner that says the program was installed.

This is great to hear.

As I said before, if RU wants to expand in to the enterprise customer base (250< users) they would need to look at this a bit more harder(permission prompts when connecting,overlay on the screen to notify someone has connected etc) . All these popups and restrictions would be fine for for a small business but definitely would not be appreciated when you are trying to push this out to 100's of users. Our goal as IT is to make things as transparent to the user as possible.

If someone want to abuse a piece of software they will find a way to do it, but not catering to your own/future customers is a bit short sighted.
Feb 09, 2017 4:51:16 pm EST
Hello Pasbad,

It's one thing to make rogue software from legitimate software by patching it or putting it in a wrapper - either way is in itself illegal and violates our EULA. We bear no responsibility for the consequences of such abuse of our program, and that is clearly stated in our EULA.

And it's an entirely different thing to provide perfect rogue software out-of-the-box. We don't do that and never will. Remote users must always know that they are being monitored or are about to be monitored. Why would an admin want to hide that fact from a user? An organization must have rules and procedures that allow IT department to remotely log in to employee's computers for maintenance, support etc. So the employees shouldn't be surprised when they see a warning message.

Regardless of how many customers or contracts we may lose, we won't make completely silent rogue-like software. We respect user's privacy, as well as local and international laws. I wouldn't  say this is a short sighted strategy. Money is important, but law and respect for ordinary folk is above the money.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)