Community

taskbar and start menu does not work, no keyboard function

Links used in this discussion
Lee Landsteiner, User (Posts: 7)
Mar 25, 2017 5:51:49 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I am using the latest free version  6.5.0.8 of the viewer and the host.

I have had to try the beta 6.6 version for the same reason in a different thread about the viewer not showing the host online even though I know they are powered on and working.

My new issue is the 6.5.0.8 hosts on several systems running Windows 10 Pro will not let me use the start menu, taskbar, and there is no keyboard function.  If I do a restart I have access for about 1 - 2 minutes and then it is gone.  It makes no difference as to which viewer I use the beta 6.6 or 6.5.0.8.  Most of this seems to have occurred after the latest updates from Microsoft.  Hosts on Windows 7 Pro and XP Pro are OK.

Would the beta 6.6 Host file help this?

I have tried some reinstalling but the issue remains.  Any suggestions?

Thanks
Lee
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Mar 27, 2017 9:23:50 am EDT
Hello Lee,

Thank you for your post.

My new issue is the 6.5.0.8 hosts on several systems running Windows 10 Pro will not let me use the start menu, taskbar, and there is no keyboard function.

Since it's Windows 10 it is unlikely that "Capture alpha blending windows' option can help, but you may still try. Here is a related troubleshooting article https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/some-windows-or-menus-are-not-visible/

What is the antivirus software installed on the Host computers?
Mar 27, 2017 11:48:31 am EDT
I did try the "Capture alpha blending windows" and that did not help.  

Nothing on the taskbar works.  Clicking on the start button, icons on the quick launch bar and the notification area do nothing, except after a restart then they are usable for about 2 minutes.  Pressing the windows key on the keyboard for the start menu does not work either.  The Icons do not highlight either.  

The shortcuts and other icons on the main desktop do work.  I can start programs and the program is functional.  The Icon on the taskbar is not usable for that program and when the program closes it's Icon remains on the taskbar.

Antivirus is TrendMicro Maximum Security latest version 2017.  I also use Malwarebytes latest version 3.06.  Both of these I have made settings changes to allow Remote utilities to work.

Thanks for the help

Lee
Mar 27, 2017 4:05:57 pm EDT
Hello Lee,

Just today we released version 6.6. You can download it from here:
https://www.remoteutilities.com/download/

Could you please update your installations (Viewer and Host) and let us know if you still have the issue.

Thanks.
Mar 27, 2017 4:39:04 pm EDT
Hi Conrad,

I have got all but one system working as they should.  The users of the other systems were trying to use the systems while I was logged on.  No wonder I had trouble.  

I am down to one other system, which appears to be a corrupt profile.  To my amazement I did a sign out of windows by sending the ctrl-alt-del key series.  When I logged back in everything was working and stayed functional for 20 minutes.  I kept getting messages that the system was going on and off line every few minutes and this has stopped as well.  I will be running some utilities to be sure system is clean, if so I will try rebuilding the profile.

I will upgrade the Remote Utilities software after I fix this and post the end results of the issue.

Thanks

Lee
Mar 28, 2017 3:55:47 pm EDT
The last system was a profile issue.  Not sure why but signing off and back on made the taskbar work again.  Tested  with a few reboots and it all worked.

On a side note I started the upgrades to 6.6 hosts.  I did a few yesterday and today none of them worked any more, even though they worked yesterday.  After a lot of attempts to make things work without success I decided to go back to 6.3.  I have converted several systems back to that version and they all work.

I think I will by pass  the upgrade and stay on 6.3, since I have had no issues with that version.

Thanks

Lee
Mar 28, 2017 4:47:00 pm EDT
Hello Lee,

Version 6.6.0.3 is available for download https://www.remoteutilities.com/download/ . Downgrade is never recommended though.

Let me know if you need any assistance with upgrade.
Mar 28, 2017 5:51:06 pm EDT
I  already have half of the systems back on 6.3.  Right now I am too far into the reinstall of 6.3.  I followed the instructions in the manual to completely uninstall the viewers and the hosts.  I went a step further and searched the registry for all entries with Remote Utilities and deleted them  Then rebooted before reinstalling the software.  This has just worked, all the systems show in the viewer and I can get a remote session started using the 6.3 version.  Once I have all the systems back working I will then consider upgrading to 6.6.0.3.  This way I know I am starting from working environment.  

I am follow this post "https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/forums/forum1/728-windows-version_-all-computers-showing-offline-however-are-all-still-accessible" to keep myself updated as to how the release is going.  Once it appears the issues are resolved I will probably upgrade.

Thanks for the help

Lee
Apr 11, 2017 12:12:34 pm EDT
Hi Conrad,

I completed the reinstall of version 6.3 Viewer and Host.  It has all worked just as it did when first installed.  I watched the forum for other posts about 6.6.0.3 and since it appeared that it was working I did my upgrades yesterday.  I had no issues with the upgrade.  I will over the next few days change the Internet IDs to the more secure 12 character ID.

I have another question to ask, but I will start a new post.  

Thanks for the help

Lee
Apr 11, 2017 3:37:28 pm EDT
Hello Lee,

Thanks for the update. Yes, feel free to let us know if you need any help.

had no issues with the upgrade. I will over the next few days change the Internet IDs to the more secure 12 character ID.

This is up to you. You don't have to do that, actually, but if you think that you should - no problem.

Please, be careful when updating the Internet-ID through remote settings - it won't update. This was a protection mechanism but we'll most likely remove it 'cause it's no longer necessary.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)