Community

Windows 10 super slow if login requires password

Links used in this discussion
Larry Glusman, User (Posts: 7)
Jun 27, 2017 1:21:01 pm EDT
Host and Viewer are 6.6.0.7

When I connect to a 10 machine that is already at the Desktop it's fine.  But if it's at the lock screen, the drawing is so slow that I can't even get the password entered.  I click on the screen to get it to bring up the password box and by the time I can see it I can't type, because the remote machine has already timed out and is drawing the lock screen again.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2991)
Jun 28, 2017 8:20:23 am EDT
Hello Larry,

Thank you for your message.

Is this happening on all Hosts or just a single Host?
Jun 28, 2017 8:47:45 am EDT
Not all, but several.  At first I thought it was because I was in full screen mode, but even when I resize the RU box down to 1/4 of my screen it keeps happening.

Maybe it's due to the version of 10... I know some of the machines are on the newest update, while others are not.  But I'm not sure which are which.  I only remote in when needed and most of the time someone is there, so I'm not even dealing with the login screen, making it harder for me to be sure which machines have the issue.
Benny Tucker, User (Posts: 32)
Jun 28, 2017 3:36:42 pm EDT
Conrad, I have the same issues with Windows 10 machines. The only work around for this issue for me is to use Remote Desktop. I can log directly into a users desktop and not have to deal with the logon screen.
Using Full Control mode is out of the question with Windows 10 for me. One thing that does help with any version of Windows, if the user will allow it, is to adjust the performance parameters of Windows behavior. I turn off all "pretty effects and frills", such as fade windows in and out, annimations, slide open combo boxes, smooth scroll and other non essentials. Makes remote sessions much snappier.
Benny
Jun 28, 2017 6:48:59 pm EDT
That sounds interesting, thank you both for your input. We will try to investigate the issue. Perhaps there is something we can do about this.

By the way, a new update has been released today (28 June, 2017), version 6.7.0.1. You can download it from here https://www.remoteutilities.com/download/ . You may try to update Viewer and Host and see if the issue persists with this version too.

Thanks!
Jul 05, 2017 11:52:40 am EDT
I've updated my machines and a couple of remote Windows 10 machines, but no real change.  The login screen is still very slow.
Jul 06, 2017 6:59:46 am EDT
Hello Larry,

Currently, we see that the only solution would be to automatically adjust capture settings when such "animation-rich" Windows elements are viewed remotely. This feature is planned for one of the future updates.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)