Community

Installing host from agent

Links used in this discussion
Allan Hall, User (Posts: 43)
Jul 04, 2017 5:54:34 pm EDT
I attempted to install host while connected through agent the other day and it did not work, kicked me off. I tried to search but didn't see an "approved" way of installing the host from the agent, what am I missing?

Allan

PS. Just bought my license, really enjoying the product, looking forward to a faster file transfer folder browsing experience you all were talking about back in December.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2991)
Jul 05, 2017 4:43:53 am EDT
Hello Allan,

Thank you for your post.

I attempted to install host while connected through agent the other day and it did not work, kicked me off. I tried to search but didn't see an "approved" way of installing the host from the agent, what am I missing?

You are not missing anything. Currently, "converting" Agent to Host isn't available. So in order to install the Host it's better, to choose the "conventional" path, that is prepare a one-click installer, and have someone run it on the remote PC when they close the Agent.

However, the converting feature is on our wish list and we'll implement it some time soon.

PS. Just bought my license, really enjoying the product, looking forward to a faster file transfer folder browsing experience you all were talking about back in December.

Thank you for the order! We will do our best to re-write the File Transfer mode later this year to make it quicker.

Don't hesitate to ask me if you have other questions.
Allan Hall, User (Posts: 43)
Jul 05, 2017 8:00:41 am EDT

You are not missing anything. Currently, "converting" Agent to Host isn't available. So in order to install the Host it's better, to choose the "conventional" path, that is prepare a one-click installer, and have someone run it on the remote PC when they close the Agent.

However, the converting feature is on our wish list and we'll implement it some time soon.

Well bummer. That would be a nice feature. The majority of my support sessions are either to a server which already has host installed, or to an end user that has no need of a host and just runs the agent for a one time session.

Occasionally however I get an end user that I know will need help later and it would be nice to be able to install the host at that time right from the agent. Glad it is on the wish list!

Thank you for the order! We will do our best to re-write the File Transfer mode later this year to make it quicker.

That would be nice. Right now I just drag and drop to get the occasional file so it isn't critical.

Thanks for a great product and particularly for all the affordable licensing options you have. That really helps out the small business guys.

Allan
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2991)
Jul 05, 2017 10:27:12 am EDT
Hi Allan,

Occasionally however I get an end user that I know will need help later and it would be nice to be able to install the host at that time right from the agent. Glad it is on the wish list!

By the way, the current workaround would be just to leave (not to delete) the Agent after the first session and have the user run it when they need another session. If the Agent isn't deleted from the computer, the ID and password stay the same, and so you don't have to update your record in the Viewer address book.

This workaround is good, of course, only if you don't need a truly unattended access (i.e. without a remote user ready to run the Agent for you). Here is a blog post on the Host vs. Agent subject .

Thanks for a great product and particularly for all the affordable licensing options you have. That really helps out the small business guys.

Thank you for the kind words!

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)