New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Intermittent connections

Links used in this discussion
Alexandre Vikol, User (Posts: 11)
Aug 08, 2017 3:25:34 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hello,

We are currently evaluating the Self hosted server and we are having an issue with Intermittent connections.

Sometimes we can connect to the hosts and sometimes not.

The hosts are marked as online in the viewer but as soon as we try to connect, the host goes offline only to reappear a few seconds later and we still cannot connect to it.

We can still connect to them using RDP with VPN without Remote utilities when remote utilities doesn't work.

The logs on the server and hosts say nothing.

Here are some interesting parts in the viewer logs:

#removed logs for privacy reasons
Edited:Alexandre Vikol - Aug 09, 2017 4:50:48 am EDT
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Aug 08, 2017 4:10:43 am EDT
Hello Alexandre,

Thank  you for your message.

We can still connect to them using RDP with VPN without Remote utilities when remote utilities doesn't work.

Sorry, it doesn't make sense to compare direct connection (RDP through VPN) with indirect/mediated connection (RU via a relay server).  With Remote Utilities you can connect directly as well - see this tutorial.

That said, although I didn't see the Host logs - only them can give some definitive information about the issue - I can guess that you might have a port conflict. You use port 443 as communication port for the server. This is a widely used port and perhaps, some other service or application also uses it.

The only reason behind using port 443 is that this port is often open by default in many organizations. But that doesn't necessarily make this port "more secure" than other ports. Ports are just numbers, you can use any port because security has nothing to do with the port number. Rather, it's implemented in the application itself and transport protocols.
Aug 08, 2017 4:26:40 am EDT
Hello Conrad,

I've sent you the host logs via PM.

We couldn't connect around from 8 am to 8:30 am this morning.

I will look into port conflict.
Aug 08, 2017 4:50:08 am EDT
I've checked ports with TCPView on server and host and nothing else that Remote utilities is setup to use port 443.
Aug 08, 2017 8:15:19 am EDT
Hello Alexandre,

We analyzed the logs. It looks like the network connection with the server is very unstable for some reason. Just as an experiment and to exclude the port conflict reason, try to use another port, something less used or even default (5655). Don't forget to change it on either side of the connection (Viewer, Server and Host).
Aug 08, 2017 8:27:56 am EDT
Hello Conrad,

I will try with other ports.
Aug 09, 2017 2:22:45 am EDT
It's not DNS
There's no way it's DNS
It was DNS
Using an ip instead of a domain seems to have fixed the issue of intermittent connection.
We will now investigate exactly what is wrong with our DNS.

Thank you for the support.
Aug 09, 2017 1:16:50 pm EDT

Alexandre Vikol wrote:

It's not DNS
There's no way it's DNS
It was DNS
Using an ip instead of a domain seems to have fixed the issue of intermittent connection.
We will now investigate exactly what is wrong with our DNS.

Thank you for the support.

Hi Alexandre,

I'm glad to hear you found the cause. Feel free to contact us if you need further assistance.

Thank you!

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)