New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

RU Stopped Working

Links used in this discussion
KDK, User (Posts: 4)
Aug 10, 2017 11:29:27 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hoping someone can help.
I've been using RU very successfully for a couple months and been very happy with it.  Recently I've been unable to establish a connection.  On the host side, I no longer have the right-click options I used to.  I only have
-setting for host...
-about remote utilities...
-restart host
-stop host

Am I not supposed to have the internet id connection settings and options in that list?
What have I done wrong here?

Thanks in advance.
-kelly
Aug 10, 2017 11:31:33 am EDT
I should add that I can connect just fine when my viewer computer is on my home network if I use the local IP address, but when I try to connect from work, it's no go.

-kelly
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Aug 10, 2017 11:45:24 am EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your post.

From what you describe, it looks as if some program - a registry cleaner perhaps, an antivirus program or even Windows update - corrupted or deleted Host registry entry (key). The Host keeps all its  settings, including Internet-ID connection settings in Windows registry, in this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Usoris\Remote Utilities Host\

You may to completely re-install the Host then. Stop the Host, uninstall it using Windows Control Panel and delete the registry key above. Then download the Host and install it all anew.

Hope that helps.
Aug 10, 2017 12:17:21 pm EDT
Brilliant!!  

I had tried re-installing before, but without deleting the reg key.  I think that worked, I've at least got all my menu options back.  Now I just have to go to work to see if I can connect.  Fingers crossed...

Thanks!
-kelly
Aug 10, 2017 2:01:29 pm EDT
Thanks Conrad!! Greatly appreciate your quick and accurate response.  That's the best tech support I've experienced in years!!  I wish I knew more people looking for a remote connection solution so that I could recommend RU to them.
I've at least got my internet ID connection working now so I'm back up and running.  I'll work on getting the direct connection/WOL configured later this weekend when I've got some time.

Take care, and many thanks again.
-kelly
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Aug 10, 2017 3:15:35 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for the kind words!

I've at least got my internet ID connection working now so I'm back up and running. I'll work on getting the direct connection/WOL configured later this weekend when I've got some time.

By definition, direct connection is always better in terms of performance and speed. However, it requires doing some configuration on the Host side - especially when you connect between networks rather than within the same network. Specifically, you will need to create a port forwarding rule on the Host side.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)