New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

PnP-Monitor Lock driver is unsigned

Links used in this discussion
mrabbitt, User (Posts: 3)
Sep 13, 2017 2:25:31 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I'm installing Remote Utilities Host on a Windows 10 computer and am getting an alert that the monitor driver is unsigned.  In device manager, the PnP-Monitor Lock (Standard) device has an explanation point showing its an unsigned driver.  I've installed the host on Windows 10 in the past and not had this issue.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Sep 13, 2017 4:49:46 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

The monitor driver is signed. This problem might arise because some root and/or intermediate certificates might need to be updated.  

DigiCert (the CA we use to sign our software) provides a list of root and intermediate certificates on this page: https://www.digicert.com/digicert-root-certificates.htm

Updating Windows 10 is also recommended. You can even first try that.

Hope that helps.
mrabbitt, User (Posts: 3)
Sep 14, 2017 9:35:06 am EDT
I'm running Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v1703 up to date with all Windows updates.
Sep 14, 2017 2:52:53 pm EDT
Hello,

Then it's either an outdated root certificate or intermediate certificate problem. As an example, here is how the monitor driver properties window looks now on our test PC, RU version 6.8.0.1 downloaded from the site.

PnP-Monitor Lock driver is unsigned - 14 Sep 2017 02:52:39
Pete Burgess, User (Posts: 6)
Mar 26, 2018 3:56:12 pm EDT
So which root/intermediate/cross-signed certificates need installing/updating?
Mar 26, 2018 4:40:43 pm EDT
I've manually installed the certificate from the x64 driver and run the driver installed which didn't show any errors.

Device manager indicates that the driver has installed but requires a reboot to enable.
Mar 26, 2018 5:20:58 pm EDT
Having rebooted, Device Manager indicates that the driver is disabled because it's signature can't be verified. Displaying the driver details shows "Remote Utilities LLC" as the signer (as in the screen shot above), so the question is: what certs need installing to make this work???
Mar 27, 2018 4:59:29 am EDT
Hello Pete,

After some investigation we found that it's not actually the driver or root drivers to blame. It's Microsoft's new policy that was put in effect after one of Windows updates. Now they require additional verification in their Dev Center (us as a vendor).

We went through all the necessary procedures and the changes we submitted are currently pending.
Mar 27, 2018 8:48:02 am EDT
Thanks for such a quick response and action, I'm looking forward to the resolution once M$ have verified your status.
Lee Webster, User (Posts: 4)
Mar 29, 2018 8:13:14 am EDT
So how will we know when this is rectified?

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)