New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

What is your current guess as to when the next version will be available?

Links used in this discussion
Ron Brennan, User (Posts: 40)
Oct 15, 2017 6:28:38 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Good evening Conrad,

Windows 10 Pro.

The connection between a remote host and my viewer no longer works - probably because of something the user did. This host is some distance from me and therefore I am interested in the timing of the next release to help me plan when to make the trip out.

If you could tell me if you think the next release will be available in days, weeks, or months, that would serve my purpose.

Thanks,
Ron
Benny Tucker, User (Posts: 32)
Oct 15, 2017 9:23:19 pm EDT
Ron, my best guess as to what happened has to do with the false positive anti-virus issues, as addressed in previous threads. I had a total of about 8 machines that Windows Defender and Security Essentials had quarantined. If you could get someone at the host machine to check the quarantine status of the rfusclient.exe file, and allow/restore it's operation, then restart the host or reboot the machine, you can probably save yourself a trip.
Hope that helps.
Benny
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Oct 16, 2017 4:12:59 am EDT
Hello Ron,

Thank you for your post.

It's weeks from now, but not too many. Initially, we planned to release version 6.9 much earlier. In fact it would have already been available at the moment. Then we decided to add quite a few important fixes and features - namely two-factor authentication. So it will take a while.

I had a total of about 8 machines that Windows Defender and Security Essentials had quarantined.

That might be the case, although Microsoft was very fast to fix the issue. We haven't been reported issues with Windows Defender since then.

We continue to send reports and communicate with a/v software vendors regarding false positive classifications. The problem is that nowadays almost all a/v software vendors heavily rely on machine learning algorithms which are very inaccurate. Alas, they don't care much about their customers who have to restore their lost data or installations after another erroneous detection.
Oct 16, 2017 9:16:25 am EDT
Thank you Benny and Conrad.

The user is very limited in his computer skills and given the next release being a few weeks off makes my going out this week the best time.

I'm using Bitdefender but maybe it too experienced the same false positive. The connection problem started sometime in the last two weeks, but I don't know any more precisely than that.

Delaying a release to include the items mentioned is probably what I would have done to better amortize the updating effort. Looking forward to the release.

Ron
Oct 16, 2017 9:26:26 am EDT
Hi Ron,

The connection problem might not be necessarily caused by antivirus software. Perhaps this is something else. Only the Host log can tell.  

Is there any chance you can get this log?
Oct 16, 2017 2:13:28 pm EDT
Benny, Conrad,

It's working now.

I was in the process of having someone at the host location locate and send me some RU log files when I tried to connect and it worked. Maybe Bitdefender updates fixed the problem. That's good enough for a couple of days.

I'm going out to the site on Wednesday and will retrieve the log files to track down why I was having trouble before.

Thanks again guys,
Ron
Oct 16, 2017 2:34:14 pm EDT
Hello Ron,

I also recommend that you add the Host installation path to Bitdefender exceptions, just in case. Even if BD falsely detects RU in the future your Host files will be safe from deletion.

Thanks.
Oct 16, 2017 5:12:46 pm EDT
Will do Conrad - Ron.
Nov 13, 2017 9:42:30 am EST
Good morning Conrad,

The connection turned out to work only for a brief time after I initially found it to be not working.

I did go out to the site but had other work to do for them that exhausted my time before I could fix the RU connection problem.

I did ascertain that there were no anomalies being reported in the host log file and that the host was running with no apparent problems.

After some superficial investigation I found that their DDNS host is returning an incorrect IP address, most likely caused by a necessary router setting being changed.

Now I'm trying to arrange my next visit. Do you mind my asking you again what your current estimate for the next release is?

Thanks,
Ron
Nov 13, 2017 11:39:53 am EST
Hello Ron,

Now I'm trying to arrange my next visit. Do you mind my asking you again what your current estimate for the next release is?

Sure. We are currently working on version 6.9 and we hope to make it available (at least for beta) in the first half of December, or even a bit earlier. Among other improvements this version is going to introduce 2-factor authentication.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)