Community

'Remove wallpaper' doesn't work after Windows Login

Links used in this discussion
Antagony1960 ., User (Posts: 8)
Nov 29, 2017 12:45:25 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Hi,

I'm trying out your software and quite impressed so far, but there does seem to be a problem with this feature. I've set up my home PC for an unattended direct connection via port forwarding and DDNS. It's all working pretty well, albeit a bit laggy because my home broadband isn't great – hence why I want the wallpaper removing. For security purposes I've also configured it to lock the workstation after disconnect, as well as having a screensaver on a shortish delay that always resumes to the lock screen. However, the wallpaper starts showing again after logging into Windows. I can remove it manually each time by toggling the setting off and on again from the connection properties in the dock, but that's an annoying series of clicks to have to keep doing all the time. Is there anything I can do to get around this, other than simply removing the wallpaper permanently within Windows?

Cheers!
Edited:Antagony1960 . - Nov 29, 2017 12:47:10 pm EST
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Nov 29, 2017 1:39:27 pm EST
Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Perhaps you were enabling the "remove wallpaper" option from within the session window (i.e. clicking on the gear icon on the toolbar in the Full Control mode).

If this is so, try to permanently disable the wallpaper for this connection in your address book. Right click the connection icon in the address book, select Properties:

'Remove wallpaper' doesn't work after Windows Login - 29 Nov 2017 01:39:01

then navigate to the  Additional Properties tab, select "Remove wallpaper" checkbox and click OK to save. The wallpaper should get removed now each time you connect to that remote computer.

Hope that helps.
Antagony1960, User (Posts: 8)
Nov 29, 2017 1:59:20 pm EST
Thanks for your reply Conrad.

Sorry, I should have said, both 'Remove wallpaper' and 'Lock workstation on disconnect' were set under the additional properties tab.

So does this not normally happen?
Nov 30, 2017 5:23:18 am EST
Hello,

We have checked this case with the screensaver starting on the log in screen, but didn't find any anomalies. Here is how we tested:

1. Host - Windows 10. Screensaver enabled with a 1 min interval,  and starting on the log in screen.  

2. Viewer - Windows XP. "Remove wallpaper" and "Lock workstation on disconnect" options are enabled in connection properties.  

3. When connecting to remote Host in Full Control mode, wallpaper is removed. When closing the Full Control mode  (without logging off the Host in the Viewer) , the screen is locked. Launching the Full Control mode again - the screensaver is shown. Need to click on the screensaver screen to invoke the log in/unlock screen, then entering into the system - the wallpaper is removed.

4. The same as above only this time not just closing the Full Control mode but also logging off the remote Host. When logging back on again, starting the Full Control mode, going through the screensaver screen and unlocking the machine - the wallpaper is removed.

Could you confirm that you do the same? By the way, what operating system is on the Host and Viewer side? Also, please make sure that you update RU Host and Viewer to the latest version (currently it's 6.8.0.1).

Looking forward to your reply.
Nov 30, 2017 7:00:26 am EST
Thank you for investigating this Conrad.

The software is all fully up to date. Following the exact same steps you have outlined above, the wallpaper is never removed after the Windows login. The only time it is removed is when the host is already logged in and active – i.e. not running the screensaver.

My viewer is Win7 Pro 32-bit and my host is Win10 Home 64-bit.
Edited:Antagony1960 - Nov 30, 2017 7:01:51 am EST
Nov 30, 2017 7:55:55 am EST
Here is something I've discovered: after Windows has logged in if I toggle the toolbar's padlock setting (Lock input and screen) on and off, it then removes the wallpaper.

I've also found that screen blanking doesn't seem to be working either. As soon as the I move the mouse on the viewing machine the screen displays again on the host. Could this be part of the same problem?
Nov 30, 2017 10:26:59 am EST
More info:
I've found there is one scenario where it removes the wallpaper after a Windows login: immediately after a start up. With every other scenario I've tested – e.g. resuming from lock/sleep/hibernation – it doesn't remove it.

I'm willing to keep trying different things but now I've found I can quickly remove the wallpaper manually by toggling the padlock button it's less of a headache. I could live with that if no solution is found.

I'm curious though: if an application window is maximized, does the wallpaper's visibility still affect performance?
Dec 09, 2017 7:38:58 am EST
Bump. I would appreciate an answer to my last question, please:

I'm curious though: if an application window is maximized, does the wallpaper's visibility still affect performance?

Dec 12, 2017 1:36:23 pm EST
Hello,

Thank you for the details.

My viewer is Win7 Pro 32-bit and my host is Win10 Home 64-bit.

Here is something I've discovered: after Windows has logged in if I toggle the toolbar's padlock setting (Lock input and screen) on and off, it then removes the wallpaper.

I've found there is one scenario where it removes the wallpaper after a Windows login: immediately after a start up. With every other scenario I've tested – e.g. resuming from lock/sleep/hibernation – it doesn't remove it.

Ok, we will test again this time using your configuration.

I've also found that screen blanking doesn't seem to be working either. As soon as the I move the mouse on the viewing machine the screen displays again on the host. Could this be part of the same problem?

Screen blanking requires the monitor driver to be installed. If you didn't install it during Host installation (the "Install monitor driver" checkbox is enabled by default), or just not sure , you can check this in the Host settings. Right-click the Host icon, select Settings for Host, then Options and Driver tab. Verify that the Monitor driver is installed (the Uninstall button should be active).

I'm not sure it will affect performance but I will ask our developers anyway.
Dec 13, 2017 12:00:21 pm EST
Thank you Conrad, I appreciate your efforts.

I've checked the monitor driver for the screen-blanking and it seems to be fine: the 'Uninstall' button is enabled and "Monitors > PnP-Monotor Lock (Standard)" in Device Manager isn't showing any issues. I've also double-checked to ensure the host's graphics card driver is fully up to date.

All that said, I'm not that bothered about screen-blanking not working, I only mentioned it in passing in case it was related to the wallpaper removal problem and that could help you .

I'm not sure it will affect performance but I will ask our developers anyway.

Thanks. I tend to agree with you but it would be nice to have it confirmed.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)