Community

set up port fowarding

Links used in this discussion
mark burgess, User (Posts: 2)
Feb 14, 2018 8:36:08 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Hi, at some point you obviously had what was hopefully a very helpful page on how to set up port forwarding for RU but the link to it is now dead!  Any chance of updating it as I really need a bit of help with this!  Thanks
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 14, 2018 8:52:07 am EST
Hello Mark,

Not at all :) Here is the link, the same as before.

Or did you mean another link and page? Please, let me know. If there is a 404, I will make sure it is fixed asap.

Thank you.
Wanda Newby, User (Posts: 8)
Aug 17, 2018 2:20:15 pm EDT
Support level: Starter
I am also having an issue with port forwarding and don't understand what it is telling me.  I can direct connect from my laptop to the desktop.  These are in the same building using the same router.  But another colleage in another state, can not direct connect.  Am I assuming wrong, that if I can get through, they can?  Do i need to setup something for them to connect?  They are currently using the internet-ID connection, but it is slow for them.  help understanding would be appreciated.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Aug 19, 2018 4:42:30 am EDT
Hello Wanda,

Thank you for your message.

But another colleage in another state, can not direct connect. Am I assuming wrong, that if I can get through, they can?

Additional setup may be required for being able to connect over the Internet. Specifically, you need to access the router settings on the Host side and set up a port forwarding rule. That is, to forward incoming requests at port 5650 to the computer where the Host is installed.

This knowledge base article can provide guidance. Another article on making server accessible can also help understand port forwarding.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)