New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Keyboard Not Captured

Links used in this discussion
David, User (Posts: 25)
Feb 16, 2014 12:24:39 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Sometimes the keyboard doesn't get captured by the remote host when I start a full control session. At first this seemed to be an intermittent issue, and unfortunately it occurred more frequently than I wanted it to. However, after performing several restarts of the remote host and the Viewer application (attempting to find the cause), I think it has to do with multiple full control tabs opened at the same time. I'm not 100% positive that's the case, but that's what I've noticed. It happens on both Windows XP and Windows 7 hosts (both 32 and 64bit). It's really frustrating because it just seems to happen without cause, and the only way I can work around it is to limit the number of full control tabs I have open to only 1 or 2, but that slows me down considerably.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 16, 2014 2:06:48 am EST
Hello David,

Thank you for this report. We'll try to reproduce this issue here and possibly find the root cause.  
Feb 17, 2014 1:47:23 am EST
Hello David,

One more question. Does capturing the keyboard return to normal (i.e. the keyboard gets captured again) when you just switch the tabs without closing Full Control window?  
Mike G, User (Posts: 47)
Feb 17, 2014 2:08:00 pm EST
I've seen this as well. I can't pin it down to a number of tabs open but this can happen every 5-10 connections. I can usually capture after 2 or 3 attempts or closing all viewer tabs and starting a fresh viewer window.
Feb 17, 2014 2:50:00 pm EST

Mike G wrote:
I've seen this as well. I can't pin it down to a number of tabs open but this can happen every 5-10 connections. I can usually capture after 2 or 3 attempts or closing all viewer tabs and starting a fresh viewer window.

This is one of those few mysterious bugs that evade from us. It's hard to reproduce it here because it's obviously context-specific and only appears when some combination of factors takes place.  

We would really appreciate it if you could reproduce it 100% of the time and tell us what actions invoke this issue. BTW, what antivirus software/firewall is installed on the remote and local PCs?
Mike G, User (Posts: 47)
Feb 18, 2014 1:34:47 pm EST
Just happening to me right now. Single tab. Guest OS W7, Host: W2K8. Mouse works, keyboard does not. Guest running AVG Free AV, host not running any AV. Close remote window and re-connect as 'Full', keyboard works.
David, User (Posts: 25)
Feb 18, 2014 4:42:57 pm EST

Conrad Sallian wrote:

We would really appreciate it if you could reproduce it 100% of the time and tell us what actions invoke this issue. BTW, what antivirus software/firewall is installed on the remote and local PCs?

I understand, but it's difficult because I can't seem to pin down exactly what causes the issue. It does seem to be worse directly after the host is installed. After the host computer is restarted once or twice, it isn't as frequent.

My local client is running Windows Server 2008 R2 with no anti-virus and the remote host is either Windows XP or Windows 7 (it happens on both) both of which run Vipre Business Premium for anti-virus.
Feb 19, 2014 4:14:27 am EST
Thank you both for the comments. We'll try to use that information when reproducing the issue.
Shawn Risser, User (Posts: 2)
Feb 16, 2018 8:47:45 am EST
I realize this is an old thread...
Has anyone else encountered the above issue and figured out a way to resolve it? (that the computer being connected to, has intermittent loss of keyboard functionality)

Sometimes when supporting my co-worker, by connecting to her computer via Remote Utilities, all of a sudden she will not be able to type.  (if I disconnect the Remote Utilities session, then keyboard access returns as normal for her)  I think I this occurred on the latest Remote Utilities version: 6.8.0.1.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 16, 2018 11:04:09 am EST
Hello Shawn,

Thank you for your post.

Could it be that you accidentally enabled "Lock remote input"? This feature can be enabled in the Full Control mode toolbar by clicking on the lock icon.

Keyboard Not Captured - 16 Feb 2018 11:04:01

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)