New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Viewer over WiFi cuts internet for all apps, ping still works??

Links used in this discussion
Tristan Towers, User (Posts: 7)
Feb 20, 2018 9:04:42 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Viewer 6.6.0.7

Hi

I have been using RU Viewer for a couple of years on my old laptop without issue. I recently bought a new Dell laptop with Windows 10.

When running RU Viewer, I regularly get a complete loss of internet on my machine. I cannot access the internet from ANY program/app (browsers, RU Viewer etc). I am still connected to the WiFi, but it's as if there is no connection to the outside world. The timing varies, but on average RU will work perfectly for about 10 mins before the whole thing cuts out!

I CAN still ping - both the modem and external websites.

This issue is only present over WiFi. If plugging in via an Ethernet cable, there is no problem.

To make matters even more confusing this problem only happens with certain modems. My neighbour's modem works perfectly at my house, yet my own TWO modems both show the same problem (one brand new, the other old).

In all cases, I can run my old Win7 laptop right next to the new one, connected to a remote computer, and never experience this problem; it's definitely something specific to this new computer. As I said above, it works perfectly for a little while (up to an hour sometimes, but usually much less) but then it suddenly cuts out.

I've tried reinstalling the WiFi Adapter driver. I've tried various settings in Windows. I even tried reinstalling Windows. Nothing has fixed the issue. The problem is the same with or without AV/firewall activated.

I am suspecting some sort of configuration problem within Windows, but I'm open to any suggestions at all.

I am going nuts here!! Any suggestions very welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 20, 2018 10:20:21 am EST
Hello Tristan,

Thank you for your post and the details.

When running RU Viewer, I regularly get a complete loss of internet on my machine. I cannot access the internet from ANY program/app (browsers, RU Viewer etc). I am still connected to the WiFi, but it's as if there is no connection to the outside world. The timing varies, but on average RU will work perfectly for about 10 mins before the whole thing cuts out!

Is it only if you run the Viewer (the app) or actually log in/connect to a remote computer with it?

For now I can recommend that you reset the DNS resolver cache on the Win 10 computer and see if it fixes the issue. Hit Win + R and type the following command:

ipconfig /flushdns
then hit Enter.

Let's see if it helps.
Feb 20, 2018 12:49:40 pm EST
Hi Conrad,

Thank you for your response!

I have tried the flushdns command before  (as well as release, renew etc). I tried it again just now (just in case !), and still no luck. The problem persists.

The Chrome error I get is "This site can't be reached. The connection was reset."

Good question - yes, the problem occurs with Viewer open, even without actually being connected to another machine. I *think* that it happened once without RU being open at all. I don't think that RU is the cause of the problem here, BUT it increases the frequency of the problem from days to minutes!

Thanks again.
Feb 20, 2018 12:59:26 pm EST
Hi Tristan,

Hard to say what might be causing this, but there is a good chance (judging by the browser response) that DNS resolution somehow breaks down on the Win 10 PC.

I *think* that it happened once without RU being open at all. I don't think that RU is the cause of the problem here, BUT it increases the frequency of the problem from days to minutes!

I think that Viewer cannot connect because of a DNS issue on that computer, and not vice versa :) Note, that Viewer and Host also require DNS resolution to work properly if you use the Internet-ID connection type.  

In other words you should figure out why DNS resolution fails after some time on that computer. Even if running a Viewer somehow triggers that process, there must be a root cause for that. If you use your ISP's (default) DNS servers you can change them to Google's , or any other publicly available and proven DNS servers.  

Hope that helps.
Feb 20, 2018 1:16:45 pm EST
Yes, I have changed the DNS Servers to Google's public ones but no luck.

I would guess you are probably right about losing DNS response but to fix it I really don't know what else to try...   :(

It's strange that the problem only occurs with some modems, and that using an ethernet cable fixes the issue.

Any more ideas welcome!

Thanks.
Feb 20, 2018 1:20:05 pm EST
Also, if I can successfully ping remoteutilities.com (or whatever), surely the DNS is being correctly resolved?
Feb 20, 2018 1:22:09 pm EST
Hi Tristan,

I would also check security software - far too often antivirus software interferes with normal program operation these days.

Also, if I can successfully ping remoteutilities.com (or whatever), surely the DNS is being correctly resolved?

Yes, and more specifically you should ping id.remoteutilities.com . The resolved IP address should be shown in the ping results.
Benny Tucker, User (Posts: 32)
Feb 20, 2018 1:37:30 pm EST
This may be a shot in the dark, but what is the lease time for your DHCP server? If your modem is acting as the DHCP server, then your computer may be having trouble negotiating a new lease.
Feb 20, 2018 1:56:48 pm EST
Agreed re: Antivirus software. I've tried McAfee (came with machine), Avast Free and just Windows Defender, with no difference in behaviour. I've even disabled it completely without fixing the issue.

I can successfully ping id.remoteutilities.com when everything else is cut.
Feb 20, 2018 2:01:27 pm EST
Hi Benny,

My DHCP is renewed every 72 hours according to the modem setup. The time between failures is varied - usually 10 mins or less but occasionally an hour or more.

I appreciate your help - thank you.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)