Community

Closed Laptop Lid Prevents Use

Links used in this discussion
Nick Sandman, User (Posts: 59)
Aug 15, 2018 6:37:02 am EDT
I've been trialling RU for a few days now and am very impressed, only issue I have is that if I attempt a remote control session with a laptop that has its lid closed, it will connect but give me a blank screen.

Opening the laptop up refreshes the connection and it works perfectly... unless you close it again in which case it will immediately freeze until the lid is opened back up. The connection never drops out, but the display won't refresh unless the lid is left open.

I've had some level of luck prodding it to work by switching the display option from "Entire Display" to selecting the actual machine display only, but that only seems to work sometimes.

Running version 6.8.0.1 for both viewer and host.
Edited:snk-nick - Aug 15, 2018 6:38:10 am EDT
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Aug 15, 2018 8:27:46 am EDT
Hello Nick,

Is it Viewer or Host that you install on the laptop?
snk-nick, User (Posts: 59)
Aug 15, 2018 8:28:39 am EDT
The host is on the laptop, the viewer is on a workstation and connecting to it.
Aug 15, 2018 9:19:37 am EDT
Nick, if you close the lid on your laptop it most likely goes to the hibernation state. In this state the network activity may be suspended or become intermittent (like only to turn on briefly to check email etc.).
Aug 15, 2018 10:07:24 am EDT
Edited:snk-nick - Aug 15, 2018 10:08:39 am EDT
Aug 15, 2018 10:07:43 am EDT
True, but I have disabled that function and closing the lid does nothing but switch the LCD off as is standard.

I can still VNC to the machine no problem so it’s still active on the network.
Aug 16, 2018 7:30:27 am EDT
Just tested on some other machines, seems to definitely be an issue for any machine that doesn't have its display turned on. For desktops the screen is just woken up as you would expect, but laptops with closed lids (that are not asleep) won't respond.

<censored>/Other connection methods don't have a problem. Any suggestions? This could be a pretty major issue for me as a huge number of my clients use almost all laptops and will often lock/close them.

Issue is only for viewing screen as well. Remote terminal/exec/registry and everything else works fine.
Aug 16, 2018 9:07:19 am EDT
Hello Nick,

We will test this issue and see if we can reproduce it. Thank you.
Aug 21, 2018 11:27:40 am EDT
Hello Nick,

Just wanted to ask if you can still see /refresh remote screen previews on the thumbnails in the Viewer address book even if you close the remote computer lid?
Aug 21, 2018 11:44:08 am EDT
Hi Conrad,

Yep, the screen previews still update just fine even though the remote control does not.

Cheers,

Nick.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)