New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Issue with auto-reconnect; default with dual terminals

Links used in this discussion
Rafi D., User (Posts: 2)
Aug 26, 2018 7:29:42 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi,
1. I have a dual terminal PC, and am using 99% of the time - terminal #1. I see that RU are always defaulting to two terminals view, even when the icon/control shows "1". I do prefer to see always and only the first (main) terminal windows. Is it a bug in the RU, or do I have to set some parameter to tell RU the default?

2. There seems to be a big problem with auto-reconnecting. In my use-case, the Internet connection *is* indeed unstable, BUT, the ISP is always re-establishing the connection with a new IP. RU almost always fails to re-connect. I have a feeling that the SW is trying to use the same IP it was connected to before. Is it so?  
If it is, can you please advise how to set it so that it will always use the RU *ID*  for re-connection, so to acquire the updated IP and succeed?  

Let me know if any of these two problems have been fixed in the new Beta I see on your site.

Thanks

Rafi
Edited:Rafi D. - Aug 26, 2018 7:32:18 am EDT
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Aug 27, 2018 4:26:44 am EDT
Hello Rafi,

Thank you for your post.

I see that RU are always defaulting to two terminals view, even when the icon/control shows "1".

Do you mean terminals or monitors? When terminal sessions are involved Remote Utilities may default to "console" view but it cannot default to multiple terminal sessions at once, this is impossible.

If it is, can you please advise how to set it so that it will always use the RU *ID* for re-connection, so to acquire the updated IP and succeed?

The Internet-ID doesn't change unless changed by the user themselves. It is unlikely that this is the cause for the problem.

Let me know if any of these two problems have been fixed in the new Beta I see on your site.

I highly recommend you try using the beta and see if you still have these issues. Note that you should update both parts of the software , not just the Viewer.

Thanks.
Rafi D., User (Posts: 2)
Aug 28, 2018 7:26:53 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Regarding #1 - Sorry, I think I used the wrong term. I meant two Monitors. It seems to start with dual monitor view, and switch to #1. This takes time on a slow connection, and possibly can be avoided?

Regarding #2 - I do not see anything related to it in your reply. This is the more important issue in my use-case. Can you explain the way you currently implement the auto-reconnect (using IP? Using ID?) and how to make it always check for correct IP by ID and use the correct (modified) IP? And if this is the same in the beta.

Thank you

Rafi
Attached Files
Issue with auto-reconnect; default with dual terminals
Edited:Rafi D. - Aug 28, 2018 8:22:40 am EDT
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Aug 28, 2018 11:07:52 am EDT
Hi Rafi,

Regarding #1 - Sorry, I think I used the wrong term. I meant two Monitors. It seems to start with dual monitor view, and switch to #1. This takes time on a slow connection, and possibly can be avoided?

Ok, no problem. Actually, your monitor selection should be remembered for this connection so the next time you start it it should immediately show you the selected monitor. Is that the case?

Can you explain the way you currently implement the auto-reconnect (using IP? Using ID?)

Auto-reconnect is just what it is - the program attempts to re-connect to a remote computer if there is brief network interruption, usually a few seconds long or more (i.e. noticeable by human).

Auto-reconnect happens regardless of whether you use direct connection (IP based) or Internet-ID connection (ID based).

and how to make it always check for correct IP by ID and use the correct (modified) IP?

Frankly speaking this is the first time we see that a dynamic IP address is reported as a possible cause for connectivity issues. If network device (e.g. router) and local network in general is configured properly, there shouldn't be any issues with Internet access even if a network device is assigned another IP address.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)