Community

Direct Copy/Paste File Transfer, not working

Links used in this discussion
Andrew Schmidt, User (Posts: 3)
Aug 28, 2018 5:35:06 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hello,
When working with two Windows 10 computers on the same LAN, I have been unable to execute a file transfer operation with Remote Utilities by using the Windows Clipboard to "copy" a file on the local computer and then "paste" it onto the remote computer's Desktop.  
Also, I have tried the suggestion to use Remote Utilities commands to "Set remote clipboard" and "Get remote clipboard", without success.  

The RU system is consistently able to copy/paste text strings between the computers, but not files.  All of the options regarding file management that I could find in the Remote Utilities configuration menus are enabled.

Is there something else that I need to configure to get the simple copy/paste file transfers working, or do we need to wait for a new release of the Remote Utilities software?

Thank you.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Aug 29, 2018 10:24:16 am EDT
Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, such direct copying/pasting of files between machines isn't available yet. It is on our roadmap for future versions though.

Currently,  you can use drag-n-drop of files instead.

Hope that helps.
p p, User (Posts: 7)
Sep 02, 2018 11:31:52 am EDT
Oh, this sounds really good if copy/paste files is in your future roadmap, because it would be really nice in lot of circumstances to do such an action directly without using File Transfer mode.

On the other hand - I think it would be even more handy if we can copy files between host and viewer directly from command line as it is possible with Microsoft Remote desktop.
For example: a command like
copy \\tsclient\c\SomeHostFolder\*.*  e:\SomeLocalFolder\*.*  
is there really a useful option, and I can use it even in a .BAT procedures.

I understand it can't be done in the same way, because Microsoft put this option in their own OS,  but you could perhaps make a command line program, let's say a kind of "RUcopy.exe" which could be then used in the same way as a windows "copy" instead and with similiar parameters.

What do you think about it?
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Sep 05, 2018 3:24:07 am EDT
Hello,

What do you think about it?

I think this is a good idea. I will forward it for discussion to our development. Thanks!
dimitris, User (Posts: 15)
May 17, 2019 2:39:03 pm EDT
I also think this would be a very useful option. To be able to copy files, via a command line parameter of the viewer. It can be used to copy a batch file and then execute it on the remote computer. Also to have the output results (success/error) of the remote command would be useful.

It's been some time since the proposal. Are there any plans to implement this?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
May 17, 2019 4:04:07 pm EDT
Hello Dimitris,

Thank you for your message.

It's been some time since the proposal. Are there any plans to implement this?

This feature is already added to our wishlist, but, unfortunately, there is no specific ETA for now.  However, it is among our nearest priorities.

Please let me know if you have more questions.
May 20, 2019 11:48:43 am EDT
Hello Dimitris.

Also to have the output results (success/error) of the remote command would be useful.

I checked with our developers on this. The file copying process will be displayed so it's clear if the error occurs during the process.

Let me know if you have more questions.
dimitris, User (Posts: 15)
May 22, 2019 11:46:13 am EDT
Thank you!
Tim Roberts, User (Posts: 1)
Nov 17, 2019 1:37:34 pm EST
Just following up on this. File transfer via copy/paste is something we would need. Can you advise a timeline for this features? Also will it be released in the current major version (6) or a later one?

Thank you.
Edited:Tim Roberts - Nov 17, 2019 2:00:44 pm EST
Nov 19, 2019 4:15:30 pm EST
Hello Tim,

Sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately, we cannot provide any specific ETA yet, but the feature definitely will be implemented in our future updates. Perhaps, it will be added in the next major version (7) which we hope to release by the end of the year, or some time later.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)