Community

Will not install

Links used in this discussion
john Randal, User (Posts: 120)
Oct 08, 2018 2:43:19 pm EDT
Trying to install the Host .msi package on a windows 8   64bit and it start to work but then stops at eh install window and just hangs there .. I had a older version that failed to uninstall and had to delete it.

Any ideas as to what I can do to force the install or do  a older cleanup?

I uploaded a i,age where it hangs at during the install
Attached Files
Will not install
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Oct 08, 2018 3:14:43 pm EDT
Hello John,  

Thank you for your message.

In this installation step the program asks you to set Host access password. I.e. there is a child window that should appear in front of the main wizard window. This is how it looks like:

Will not install - 08 Oct 2018 03:11:57

If you cannot see this window make sure that it's still there - maybe it was just hidden behind the wizard or minimized. There used to be a bug that could do that but we fixed it some time ago. Also, make sure that you download the program from this site and not elsewhere. The only official download pages are these https://www.remoteutilities.com/download/ (stable version) https://www.remoteutilities.com/download/beta.php (beta version).  

Hope that helps.
Oct 08, 2018 3:32:53 pm EDT
But I cant get to that window in the .msi install because it never proceeded yet?  this is what I get after I choose the path to install then it hangs  there?
Edited:john Randal - Oct 08, 2018 3:37:40 pm EDT
Oct 08, 2018 4:27:47 pm EDT
Hi John,

You are installing version 6.8.0.1. , not the beta. Is that correct?
Oct 08, 2018 5:49:06 pm EDT
Version 6.8.0.1, August 26, 2017.
Free.
Oct 09, 2018 4:04:37 am EDT
Hello John,

Please, do the following:

1. Add the Host installer to your antivirus software exceptions list. Specifically, add two folders to the exceptions:  the folder where you downloaded the installer (I also recommend that you re-download the file) and the target folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host". The latter may not be created yet, just add it manually to your a/v exceptions.

2. Clean up the older installation. Follow this Uninstall Host guide.

3. You may also check the Microsoft Fixit tool in case you cannot get rid of your previous installation.

Once you complete the steps above, restart your computer and try installing again. Make sure that the Windows account has full administrative privileges because they are required when installing the Host (it runs as a system service after the installation).

Hope that helps.
Oct 09, 2018 4:16:55 pm EDT
Ive tried all this and the installer just hangs. not sure why even uninstalled all antivirus and shut down firewall and still hangs... other programs install with no problem.. I don,t know..
Oct 10, 2018 10:49:20 am EDT
Hi John,

Is this happening on a single machine or on different machines that you control?
Oct 11, 2018 8:32:22 pm EDT
This is occurring on a a machine via  [censored] .. I've never had a problem like this with others..

I am open to suggestions because I prefer Remote Utilities..
Oct 12, 2018 5:00:03 am EDT
Hello John,

Frankly speaking there is nothing else we can recommend other than completely uninstall the Host and re-install it, as mentioned in the item #2 earlier. Remote Utilities installer uses Microsoft's MSI technology/format. If you cannot install the software in the first place this may point at issues with MSI. Here is a troubleshooting guide from Microsoft https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2438651/how-to-troubleshoot-windows-installer-errors

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)