Community

Closed Laptop Lid Prevents Use

Links used in this discussion
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Aug 21, 2018 1:04:45 pm EDT
Nick, you should try enabling the "Use legacy capture mode" option in the Settings for Host -> Options -> General tab:
Attached Files
snk-nick, User (Posts: 59)
Aug 21, 2018 9:44:30 pm EDT
Hi Conrad,

This does indeed seem to work! What's the difference between the standard and legacy connections?

Cheers,

Nick.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Aug 22, 2018 4:20:03 am EDT
Hi Nick,

From the user standpoint and experience there shouldn't be any differences. Except perhaps the regular (current default) mode is a bit more optimized on newer systems such as win 10.

Thanks.
Alex Z, User (Posts: 3)
Nov 23, 2018 9:55:34 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Hi Conrad,

What plans if any does RU have to support a closed lid state (as specified in this thread) where the host does not require the use of legacy capture mode?  I ask this question because I have a large amount of hosts deployed without this option and it would be a significant effort to update each host.  Perhaps there is a central way of pushing the option from the viewer to all hosts?

Thanks,
Alex
Alex, User (Posts: 3)
Nov 23, 2018 10:46:33 am EST
Hi again,

After enabling legacy display mode, it works but there are rendering issues.  I've attached a screenshot for reference (Win 10 Pro latest build as of today).  Also, if you try to use apps such as "SQL server management studio", some windows do not render at all within the application (are blank).
Attached Files
Theodoros Kelengouris, User (Posts: 4)
Nov 27, 2018 3:24:08 am EST
Same probleme here, if there is no Display connected and the  legacy display mode is activated i will have problems with the Resolution and the interface like Alex.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Nov 28, 2018 4:21:18 am EST
Hello,

We are currently investigating our options when it comes to resolving the closed lid issue. Unfortunately, this issue may potentially be caused by factors we do not control (such as how the display is shown in that state) and that may even vary from hardware to hardware. We will do our best to resolve the issue though.
Nov 28, 2018 2:46:44 pm EST
Hello,

I would recommend that you try installing Remote Utilities monitor driver and see if the issue persists. In version 6.9.x.x the driver installation is disabled by default (the corresponding checkbox in the installation wizard is unchecked). But you can install the driver after the Host has been installed - just open the Host settings, navigate to "Driver" and click install near the "Monitor driver" option:

Closed Laptop Lid Prevents Use - 28 Nov 2018 02:46:10
Alex, User (Posts: 3)
Nov 28, 2018 5:55:49 pm EST

Conrad Sallian wrote:

Hello,

I would recommend that you try installing Remote Utilities monitor driver and see if the issue persists. In version 6.9.x.x the driver installation is disabled by default (the corresponding checkbox in the installation wizard is unchecked). But you can install the driver after the Host has been installed - just open the Host settings, navigate to "Driver" and click install near the "Monitor driver" option:

Hi Conrad,

Any idea why I cannot see the Install / Uninstall buttons in the Viewer?  I suspect it is related to 4k display etc that my laptop has as the nav menu items also don't look 100% right (a bit squished).  Both the viewer and the host are running the latest 'GA' release of 6.9.4.0.

NOTE that the active logged in user to the machine where the host is running only has "user" permissions as it is required (not local admin).
Attached Files
Edited:Alex - Nov 28, 2018 5:56:46 pm EST
Nov 30, 2018 3:45:07 am EST
Hello Alex,

On the window it's the Host configuration window, not the Viewer. It looks like you have non-standard DPI settings set in your system (i.e. other than 100%). Is that the case?

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)