New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

[resolved] Socket Error Every Night Around Same Time

Links used in this discussion
Shawn Coffman, User (Posts: 10)
Aug 28, 2013 10:57:33 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I was having an issue where I would enter my password to unlock my PC via Remote Utilities but I was getting an "invalid username or password" error. I logged in via via  [censored] with the same credentials without any issues.

I proceeded to check the status of Remote Utilities (Host). It was up and running, which was a good sign. I looked at the logs to see if it had generated any errors during my attempts to log into the machine. And it is here I noticed some unusual activity. In the midnight hour every night, I am seeing the following messages:

Exception: Socket Error # 10054 Connection reset by peer. (EIdSocketError).
Exception: Socket Error # 10054 Connection reset by peer. (EIdSocketError).
Internet-ID ErrorCode <> 0 Error code: 1
Internet-ID: Connection established

Eventually, I restated Remote Utilities (Host) and the problem was resolved. With this being the only activity that was logged, I am interested in trying to determine why these errors are being generated and how to correct the potential issue.

Any ideas why these messages would be logged around the bottom of the midnight hour every single day? I am not attempting to log into the machine at this time.

Any idea what I can do to troubleshoot the issue further?
Edited:Coffmans - Jan 20, 2014 1:35:14 pm EST
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2991)
Aug 29, 2013 8:58:26 am EDT
Most likely this error has nothing to do with the issue. Sometimes when you install the Host a reboot is required anyway.

We can probably need to change the status of this error to just "warning" or even "informational message".

Sorry for any confusion that might have caused.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2991)
Aug 29, 2013 11:36:47 am EDT
Shawn,

Are there any details for each message? They can be useful in determining what happened.

If you are not sure about posting them on the forum you can send them via support request form  https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/tickets/ . Or even better, zip and send us the entire log file/files.

Thanks.
Coffmans, User (Posts: 10)
Aug 29, 2013 12:37:05 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi Conrad,
I have zipped up the file and attached it to the support ticket. If there is anything else that I can provide, don't hesitate to let me know.

One thing I wanted to mention about the event log. There are a large number of socket error exceptions for 8/29 starting at 04:00 AM. There was an internet outage in my area around the same time so I would expect to see these messages. One thing that is unusual, though, is that the exception messages can be seen until around 07:17 AM when I gained remote access to my machine via RU.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)