Community

File transfer constantly fails to change directories and windows size

Alan Halls, User (Posts: 23)
Oct 04, 2018 2:21:37 pm EDT
I am using 6.9.1.0 viewer and when trying to do any file transfers with remote computers, the file transfer window is MASSIVE. Now on my computer setup I have 2 4K monitors, one is horizontal, one is vertical, and a 1080p monitor as well. The window shows up spanning multiple monitors and much be resized to see the entire window so you can see buttons and such.

Additionally, I have a very hard time navigating to directories, I constantly get errors, then after trying a few times it might work. Sometimes I have to just use Remote Utilities to initiate a VNC session so I can do file transfers it has gotten so bad.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Oct 05, 2018 9:16:46 am EDT
Hello Alan,

Thank you for your message.

I am using 6.9.1.0 viewer and when trying to do any file transfers with remote computers, the file transfer window is MASSIVE. Now on my computer setup I have 2 4K monitors, one is horizontal, one is vertical, and a 1080p monitor as well. The window shows up spanning multiple monitors and much be resized to see the entire window so you can see buttons and such.

Does this happen each time you start a File Transfer mode session? I.e. it doesn't remember the size that you set.

Additionally, I have a very hard time navigating to directories, I constantly get errors, then after trying a few times it might work. Sometimes I have to just use Remote Utilities to initiate a VNC session so I can do file transfers it has gotten so bad.

This is a known issue, specifically the issue with slow folder browsing in File Transfer mode. Later this year we are going to significantly re-write the File Transfer module and will fix these issues, and also add a couple of useful features.
Oct 05, 2018 3:32:18 pm EDT
Thanks Conrad, in answer to your question, it doesn't remember my preferences. This is problematic when the client is also constantly getting disconnected, so I have to keep reconnecting, open file transfer, resize window again.

If the connection wasn't broken and I just connect, resize window, close it and reopen - it is a little smaller than the first time, but still shows up too large and spanning across 2 monitors.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Oct 06, 2018 9:32:20 am EDT
Hello Alan,

Please, try the following:

1. Fully exit the Viewer (File -> Exit).

2. Locate the file config_4.xml in the Remote Utilities Viewer %appdata% folder.

3. Remove the file from that folder. Send the file to us for examination at support@remote-utilities.com . This file doesn't contain any sensitive data, just your license information and Viewer settings. We want to check if it was corrupted somehow.

4. Start the Viewer. It should re-create the file again, you will need to re-enter your license key.

5. Start the File Transfer mode, resize its window to your liking, then close the Viewer and again open it and start the File Transfer mode. The program must remember the size that you set the last time.

Thanks.
Oct 08, 2018 11:53:39 am EDT
Thank you for the tip, I just looked at the file and found that it had been set to:
  <optFTPWidth>2559</optFTPWidth>
  <optFTPHeight>1309</optFTPHeight>
  <optFTPLeft>-2325</optFTPLeft>
  <optFTPTop>-645</optFTPTop>

After a couple minor adjustments it is working much better.
Lou Smith, User (Posts: 9)
Jan 08, 2019 6:29:17 pm EST

Conrad wrote:

Later this year we are going to significantly re-write the File Transfer module and will fix these issues, and also add a couple of useful features.

Is this supposed to be fixed in 6.10? If so, the fix is broken and, if not, do you have any idea when we can expect it to work properly?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jan 09, 2019 5:30:49 am EST
Hello Lou,

Do you mean the slow opening of remote directories in the File Transfer mode or something else?

Looking forward to your reply.
Jan 09, 2019 6:10:34 am EST
Slow or repeated failure to open drives and folders, just like it's been doing for years.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jan 09, 2019 6:59:15 am EST

Lou Smith wrote:

Slow or repeated failure to open drives and folders, just like it's been doing for years.

This is one of our current priorities now. We will do our best to re-write this module as soon as possible.
Jan 09, 2019 7:19:49 am EST
Hey Conrad, there is no more ardant supporter of Remote Utilities than I but...
we've been talking about this since December of 2016 and in 2017, it was "...expected to be completed even this year."
Now 2018 is gone and it seems that the many voices raised about this have not communicated the importance that file transfer capability is to those of us who use RU every single day.
Please?

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)