New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Unable to login to host, since updating viewer & host (Access denied)

Links used in this discussion
jasoncollege24, User (Posts: 7)
Jan 15, 2019 11:06:38 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Host information
Current Host version: 6.10.3.0 (Current as of today)
Previous Host version 6.8 (Current as of November 25th, 2017)
Internet ID: Disabled
Viewer version: Not installed
Server version: 2.6 (Never updated)

Client information
Current host version: 6.9.4.0 (Current as of Nov 2018)
Previous host version: N/A (Windows was clean installed in November 2018)
Current Viewer version: 6.10.3.0 (Current as of today)
Previous Viewer version: 6.9 (current as of reinstall of windows)
Connection type to Host: Direct IP
Server version: Not installed

Symptoms:
Attempting to login to host on host machine, via viewer on client machine results in "Access denied" error after updating viewer on client, and host on host.

1. Viewer on client was updated first.
2. Opened viewer, and saw message that host on host had an update.
3. Right clicked host in viewer, and chose "simple update"
4. Restarted host machine, after update
5. Tried to connect via viewer on client, received "Access denied" error
6. physically uninstalled, and reinstalled host on hostmachine (didn't remove settings)
7. Restarted host machine, after install
8. Tried to connect via viewer on client, received "Access denied" error

Viewer on client still claims that the host software on the host machine is outdated, but clicking about on the host shows it, and client's viewer are the same version (6.10.3.0)

This was not a problem, before updating the host software on the host machine, and it doesn't make any sense.

Edit: Seems updating the server was also needed. Problem seems resolved.
Edited:jasoncollege24 - Jan 15, 2019 11:41:39 pm EST
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2991)
Jan 16, 2019 7:42:48 am EST
Hi Jason,

No problem. We are always happy to help.
Jan 16, 2019 1:55:32 pm EST
I spoke too soon. After leaving both machines over night, with no reboots, or updates or anything else after getting it to work, I'm right back where I started. I'm back to getting access denied errors, when trying to login to the host from the client.

The only software that is out of date is the host software on the client machine, which shouldn't effect this at all. For some reason, the viewer is still telling me that the host has a newer version available.

I need to get this sorted, because I have one other machine that I use who's host software hasn't been updated in a while. I need to make sure this will work properly, BEFORE i update the host on the other machine.
Ashley Griffin, User (Posts: 61)
Jan 16, 2019 8:58:39 pm EST
Same issue here, the latest version has created hell with the updates, some going ok, most going offline needing trips to sites, some many hours away.

Ive had "logging in", and "offline" looking like the machine rebooted.  It appears kinda random, leaving it a few hours sometimes they re-appear.

I did one on the same LAN as the server, of course that went NO PROBLEMS, the remote PC / servers, seem super random if they will work, some have upgraded showing they still need updating....

I have never seen this kinda issue until this latest version.
Jan 16, 2019 10:48:11 pm EST
Yikes! Mine at least shows up online, when it's turned on. it is in the same room with me, but has no mouse, or keyboard attached, so I use remote utilities to access it.

I have another that is a VPS that someone else connects to. I'm afraid to update it for fear of something going wrong.

I'm considering doing a complete uninstall of all remote utilities apps from the physical machine, and then doing a clean install of the ones I need. I will add an update, when I can do it (right now someone is using that display), to let you know if this works.

Unfortunately, this would be *very* inconvenient on hosts that are far away. In cases like those, I'd highly recommend having a secondary solution to serve as a backup, or have someone there who can initiate something like Quick Assist in Windows 10.
Jan 16, 2019 11:49:58 pm EST
Ive spent about 5 hours tonight trying to resolve what was supposed to be a "simple" upgrade, clearly this "major re-write" has some "major bugs", heres my findings so far..

- Some endpoints MUST have a restart, they either say online but cant connect or "logging in" and nothing more, a restart seems to fix that (it means getting to the machine locally to do the restart), so clearly the "upgrade" didnt fully complete.

- Some go offline, so far i have found it removed the "host" and installed a "viewer" only, i didnt ask it to do this, however the "upgrade" did... thats again another visit to the hose, remove the viewer then install the host (again).

= Not sure what they did to the keyboard, but i can no longer type in ANY VMWare console (vSphere client), they numbers work (top row) but the letters do not, again this was working fine in the past version, so what was changed to break VMWare vSphere client typing (which is 90% the reason i use this, its on a machien onsite that has vSphere or vCenter install to log in to 20 servers, now i cant log in to any of them as i cant type in to vSphere (even after restarts).

Getting to the point i might have to roll EVERYTHING back to an older version or look for a new RMM if its not fixed fairly fast.
Jan 17, 2019 6:17:49 am EST
Hello Jason,

The only software that is out of date is the host software on the client machine, which shouldn't effect this at all. For some reason, the viewer is still telling me that the host has a newer version available.

This information won't update until you log in on remote Host at least once. Since Viewer couldn't log in to Host it couldn't update its version information.

I'm considering doing a complete uninstall of all remote utilities apps from the physical machine, and then doing a clean install of the ones I need. I will add an update, when I can do it (right now someone is using that display), to let you know if this works.

Regarding your initial post. It seems like you installed both modules on both computers on each side of connection. You do not have to do that actually. Unlike many other similar software Remote Utilities has separate modules for each task. Viewer is installed on the computer you work from and Host is installed on the remote computer. I.e. you don' t have to also install the Viewer on the remote computer if you do not intended to remote from that computer at some point in time, but even then you can simply install the Viewer when you really need it.  

When you do complete re-install of Host you can also wipe the registry entry where the Host settings are stored. It's HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Usoris\Remote Utilities Host\

You can also refer to this complete uninstall guide.
Jan 17, 2019 6:40:08 am EST
Hello Ashley,

Ive spent about 5 hours tonight trying to resolve what was supposed to be a "simple" upgrade, clearly this "major re-write" has some "major bugs", heres my findings so far..

Simple update is called "simple" because it really is - it just downloads the vanilla Host msi installer from the web and then runs it with a silent key/parameter. The Host installer is exactly the same file as available for manual download on the download page, except only it's distributed via Amazon Cloudfront servers for faster delivery.

If you have issues with Host service not starting after simple update, that may be due to various reasons but all of them have a "system" nature outside the product itself. Sometimes restart of the system may be required for the service to "kick in", and that in turn may depend on specific services policy on that computer.  Sometimes,

Recently, we had a support case with a customer who hadn't updated Windows for about a year and their Windows Defender engine (just the engine, not the threat databases, which was weird in itself) was outdated. Windows Defender prevented the Host service from starting after the update and not after the fresh install. Once they updated Windows (and Windows Defender for that matter) the problem was gone.

I highly recommend that you add the Host installation folder to antivirus software exceptions list to avoid future problems in this regard. Far too often modern antivirus software is incapable of distinguishing between a benign program and malware so it makes sense to think ahead and eliminate this problem before it arises.

= Not sure what they did to the keyboard, but i can no longer type in ANY VMWare console (vSphere client), they numbers work (top row) but the letters do not, again this was working fine in the past version, so what was changed to break VMWare vSphere client typing (which is 90% the reason i use this, its on a machien onsite that has vSphere or vCenter install to log in to 20 servers, now i cant log in to any of them as i cant type in to vSphere (even after restarts).

We added an additional keyboard input model and made it default. This model is used by any other top remote access software and it's kind of standard. However, you can still switch to old model for specific connections in your address book by selecting this checkbox:

Unable to login to host, since updating viewer & host (Access denied) - 17 Jan 2019 06:39:48

Hope that helps.
Jan 17, 2019 9:41:48 am EST
Hi Conrad

I see you are trying to blame windows for the failed "installs" needing restarts, although i expected this, heres the thing no one of your other updates went this badley, all systems were up to date.  Please advise.

How do you explain a server that was running the HOST, then had this removed and the viewer installed (i manually logged in to the server and found it, the install date was the date i did the upgrade, so why did the "upgrade" remove the host then install the viewer?)
Jan 17, 2019 10:47:38 am EST
UPDATE

I have at least 2 servers (and i believe i will find another later today) that had the HOST removed and viewer installed, i have no idea why the "upgrade" would have done this.  It results in "OFFLINE" in the viewer software (as it removed the host so does go offline)

However on removing the viewer then installing the HOST.MSI, i have to then manually restart the remote utilities service otherwise it gets stuck on "logging in".....

The legacy keyboard does appear to have fixed the VMWare vSphere issue.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)