Community

Access Credentials via email

Links used in this discussion
Jeff McElwain, User (Posts: 6)
Feb 26, 2019 3:37:21 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Thrilled on the feature rich & capabilities of this software.  I performed a quick install & was excited to start using this to replace a few remote solutions including  [censored] since they are removing features and pricing is not very nice to small settings.

However, when creating plans with packages to being, I ran into a huge issue.  I am unable to get _any email_ thru any pkg build, MSI or one-time (exe).  Additionally, I am unable to get a connection thru pasting code directly from a Host on which a viewer is installed, thinking I could sync the address book (already checked the viewer on the same Host!).
Usage & Environment:
a) Online Configurator
b) One-Click Pkg
Jeff McElwain, User (Posts: 6)
Feb 26, 2019 4:19:14 pm EST
....guess I'm starting to find some short comings of forum usage, I can't edit a post (thus the partial post above).  So I'll continue my post and perhaps continue my search.
The latter part of above was in attempts to use a temporary work-around by pasting code, but that also is futile as the msg reads: code is incorrect or applying code fr om a different viewer (however both ARE on the same workstation).

So to continue from above...
- The test email works fine and using several smtp servers;
The configurator config was followed exactly as outlined for the exe (and msi too; that's wh ere I started) here:
https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/one-click-package/
-ensured <Automatically generate Host password> was checked, though I don't know why if there is not a password set by the configurator.
Nothing else was changed;
- After install (running the built package), and accessing settings for the Host, there is not a password set (>Security >Authorization >Single Password);  
- Tried both, with & without setup parameters password protected (>General >Settings protection >Password protect settings);
Viewer, Host 6.10.5.0 (installed on 2 different workstations);
Workstations, Win10 Pro x64, v1803.
Perhaps an issue on this latest release but can't provide a work-around as the direct code entry doesn't even work.
Hopefully something easy as this looked extremely promising and feature rich.
jm
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 26, 2019 5:46:44 pm EST
Hello Jeff,

Thank you for the kind words.

I am unable to get _any email_ thru any pkg build, MSI or one-time (exe).

Do you use Gmail or a similar service as your SMTP? Note, that for security reasons Gmail may limit the usage of their SMTP by third-party apps unless you explicitly allow such usage. See more information in this document. Other services may have similar limitations.

Besides, if you have 2-factor-authentication enabled for your email account you'll need to create an "app password" in order to circumvent 2FA and enable your build to use your SMTP server for sending emails.

Additionally, I am unable to get a connection thru pasting code directly from a Host on which a viewer is installed, thinking I could sync the address book (already checked the viewer on the same Host!).

I am sorry, may I ask that you clarify this paragraph? You installed Viewer and Host on the same computer, correct?

Note, that in order to sync your address book automatically (full-fledged synchronization) among multiple Viewers you will need to install our self-hosted server and set up the address book sync role.

The latter part of above was in attempts to use a temporary work-around by pasting code, but that also is futile as the msg reads: code is incorrect or applying code fr om a different viewer (however both ARE on the same workstation).

Please, refer to this knowledge base article https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/kb/the-code-you-entered-is-incorrect-error/ .

After install (running the built package), and accessing settings for the Host, there is not a password set (>Security >Authorization >Single Password);

We couldn't reproduce the issue. With the "Automatically generate Host password" checkbox enabled in step 3 of the configuration process and when accessing the settings for the Host afterwards, the checkbox "Single password" is set.

When configuring your installer, try enabling some other Host options (I mean options in the Host configuration window rather than those in the configurator wizard) and then see if they apply. Please, let us know the result.
saabaa46, User (Posts: 6)
Feb 28, 2019 8:38:35 pm EST
Hi Conrad,
Thanks for the speedy reply.
Using Gmail and have already understood the decreased security (experienced this issue with other software); additionally tried another gmail account and another smtp account with exact same results; Both of which are not using 2FA (2 factor auth);
Installed Viewer and Host on the same computer, correct; Installing the viewer on workstation having issue. I will try the address book sync soon; more interested in getting the 1st issue corrected;
Reproducing the issue with uninstalls in between every new One-Click pkg builds, everytime. Tried enabling other Host options in the config window, i.e.:
  • Do not create shortcuts in the Start menu
  • Ask user to identify themselves
  • Show balloon hint
  • Play sound
  • >Settings protection >Password protect settings" is now unchecked
Results from all those above seem unchanged or no difference;
  • shortcuts are created in the Start menu
  • no dialog to ask identity of user
  • No balloon hints
  • No sound
  • Was not asked for psswd for settings, nor was asked previously
I wonder if there may be a deep registry setting left-over from something I may have overlooked?  I don't have access to any virtual machines at the moment, but have access to a virgin laptop I will try with my initial build (one-click package).  I can try this and post results.
The viewer workstation is Win10 v1803, and the unit Host is also Win10 v1803.  I just performed an install with my initial build (one-click exe) on the virgin unit (workstation which is Win10 v1809).  I've had several other issues applying KB4480976 (error Code 0x80073712 on several workstations; had to be upgraded from a Media Creation tool w/v1809; most would not update nor manually install, thus the upgrade tool), I thought I'd mention if it makes a difference.
Since this 2nd workstation seems ok on my initial build, is there some registry settings I should eliminate before another install since perhaps uninstall/reboot is not effective; or would you think it could be related to v1803 vs 1809?  As for the latter, I'm not ready for v1803 as of yet.
Thanks again for your time.
Jeff
Edited:saabaa46 - Feb 28, 2019 9:51:33 pm EST
Mar 01, 2019 6:11:17 am EST
Hello,

I wonder if there may be a deep registry setting left-over from something I may have overlooked?

Host keeps its settings in the registry, in this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Usoris\Remote Utilities Host\ . You can delete it if you want to clean up Host installation.

Hope that helps.
saabaa46, User (Posts: 6)
Mar 02, 2019 1:57:57 pm EST

Conrad Sallian wrote:
Host keeps its settings in the registry, in this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Usoris\Remote Utilities Host\ . You can delete it if you want to clean up Host installation.
Hope that helps.

Conrad,
That did it!  Distracted on Win10 v1803, 1809 and uninstall processes.  Now I just need more time in my week!
Thanks for the support, and the outstanding Documentation & KB..!
This is what is needed for the SMB community!
Jeff
Mar 04, 2019 6:09:24 am EST
Hi Jeff,

You are always welcome. Feel free to contact us anytime you need assistance.

Thanks.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)