Community

Remove the notice near the system tray

Links used in this discussion
Rob Barrett, User (Posts: 92)
Mar 24, 2019 8:09:04 pm EDT
This notice that Remote System Tools has been installed is a PAIN in the ass... How can I remove this? It is in the way of EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!
MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 68)
Mar 25, 2019 5:50:09 am EDT
Rob,

I agree, unfortunately, that is a feature available only to their highest license package.

It's caused me nothing by grief a few times. Not to mention that this "feature" blocks the taskbar, so you're often prevented from fixing whatever problem you needed to fix remotely in the first place.

If they removed this limitation on lower licenses, I'd bet they'd sell more licenses.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
Mar 25, 2019 9:32:11 am EDT
Hello Rob,

Thank you for your message.

You probably mean the first connection warning. This warning is shown only once and will go away if the remote user clicks on it. It doesn't affect your ability to connect right away, it's an informational message.

The first connection warning window won't appear if the first connection to the remote computer is established from a Viewer registered with a PRO license. A license comparison table is available on this page: https://www.remoteutilities.com/buy/licensing.php

I am sorry if this makes the program less useful for you.
Mar 25, 2019 10:16:27 am EDT
Hello Max,

Thank you for your message.

Not to mention that this "feature" blocks the taskbar, so you're often prevented from fixing whatever problem you needed to fix remotely in the first place.

As I mentioned earlier, the notification is informational and shown only once. It doesn't prevent you from establishing a connection and can be closed by a remote user.
That message is necessary to let the user know that the program was installed and to prevent the rogue activities out-of-the-box. Remote users must always know that they are being monitored or are about to be monitored.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Mar 25, 2019 11:46:43 am EDT
I have tried to close it, move it but it is just stuck.. Maybe if the notice wasn't so large and at the very top of the screen would be better
Mar 25, 2019 4:14:20 pm EDT
Hello Rob,

Please clarify if you're trying to close the Viewer's side? Unfortunately, clicking on the OK button remotely won't work. In order to close the warning message, the remote user must click the button.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Mar 25, 2019 7:47:46 pm EDT
THIS NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED!!!!! Cannot work on the client computer like this... I CANNOT MOVE OR ACKNOWLEDGE THIS ALERT!!!!!! In the image I provided, I am trying to right click on something in the system tray but I am NOT able to

See the image
Remove the notice near the system tray - 25 Mar 2019 07:48:29
Edited:Rob Barrett - Mar 25, 2019 8:11:34 pm EDT
Mar 25, 2019 7:54:22 pm EDT
The problem is that this is primarily used in unattended mode where the user (My Business Client) is not there.

In order for me to repair their computers, it is ALSO necessary that I have the ability to move things around, right click on things etc.......... It is USELESS for my clients if I can't repair their computers when they are not there.
I I am trying to work on their computers when they are there, it STOPS their productivity... I might as well pay for  [censored] instead of your product.
Mar 25, 2019 8:09:47 pm EDT
In the image I provided, I am trying to right click on something in the system tray but I am NOT able to
MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 68)
Mar 26, 2019 5:23:04 am EDT

Rob Barrett wrote:

In the image I provided, I am trying to right click on something in the system tray but I am NOT able to

Hey Rob,

I was thinking about this some more today.  Maybe this might be a workaround.  Try and move the taskbar from the classic location on the bottom to the top, left or right vertically. It'll suck and be awkward, but might get the job done. Make sure to unlock the taskbar first.

I also forget whether rebooting the computer worked to remove it from the desktop or not. You can try that, too.

It won't go away until it is clicked by the person at the computer screen, not from the viewer connection. For me, it lost usability unless I install it when I'm onsite, login to my home machine and then login and click the box myself. So it saves me a few clicks, but I've stopped using it after they introduced this feature.

Back on the older versions, I could just email a link to download it from my site. The user would install it sometime during their day and I could just login overnight and work on the problem. But the way the message is worded, they make it sound like the app is not intended for remote access but it may be used without your knowledge.  It would actually be outright better to say, "This software is used to remotely access your computer."  They could even add in a line like, "If this has been installed without your permission, you may uninstall it from Control Panel|Programs and Features"... or "Download the mobile client for iOS/Android here".

It requires elevated permissions to install, so I think its counter productive and not going to accomplish their goal of preventing malicious installs. If you already have admin rights, the app can be installed manually or with other apps like autohotkey answering automatically. I'm really hoping they change their minds on this, or at least remove it for any paid license, not just Pro and Site.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)