Community

RDP over ID opens command prompt with cmdkey

Links used in this discussion
Dimitris g, User (Posts: 15)
Mar 26, 2019 2:19:07 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hello,
When trying to connect to a remote PC through RDP over ID, a command prompt opens asking for a password, where cmdkey.exe is involved. If I close this command prompt, I am asked for a username and password for the RDP session; the saved credentials in the Viewer are not used. The username and password are saved in the Viewer beforehand.
I have no idea what the reason could be.

Thanking you in advance,
Dimitris
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 26, 2019 4:34:14 pm EDT
Hello Dimitris,

Thank you for your message.

the saved credentials in the Viewer are not used. The username and password are saved in the Viewer beforehand.

Please try not to fill in the logon credentials on the RDP tab in the Host's Connection properties.

a command prompt opens asking for a password, where cmdkey.exe is involved.

cmdkey.exe is a part of the Windows OS and it's safe to use: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/cmdkey

Hope that helps.
dimitris, User (Posts: 15)
Mar 26, 2019 5:25:24 pm EDT
Thank you for your quick reply!

I cannot test it right now, I have to try this tomorrow. I guess you mean the RDP setting in Viewer RDP over ID opens command prompt with cmdkey - 26 Mar 2019 05:21:59
But why does this happen to only one specific connection? What is the reason that this happens and is there something I can do to initiate the connection without having to type the username and password every time I want to connect?
dimitris, User (Posts: 15)
Mar 27, 2019 12:58:07 pm EDT
Nevermind, I think i know the reason; the password of the RDP user started with the "-" character. Changing the password resolved the issue.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 27, 2019 5:14:52 pm EDT
Hello Dimitris,

I'm glad to hear you figured out the issue.

Please don't hesitate to post another message if you have more questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)