Community

Updating each version is a major hassle.

Links used in this discussion
snk-nick, User (Posts: 59)
Apr 12, 2019 1:59:58 am EDT
Every time a new version is released I need to individually create new install files for the MSI, .exe and agent. I can't just point the software to old version and create them, nor can I make some kind of install template that would let me easily generate new versions each release... this makes ensuring every install file has the correct settings fairly painstaking.

In addition, when trying to update hosts the simple update feature simply does not work at all. When using the remote install option and pointing the file to an update MSI, installs to remote (i.e. non LAN) locations always fail saying "unable to complete action" with no other explanation.

When it is working, the software is great. However every single update is a long, annoying task that only becomes more so the more clients I install agents to. Are there any plans to address this, and if so when can we expect them?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Apr 12, 2019 2:38:44 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

I can't just point the software to old version and create them, nor can I make some kind of install template that would let me easily generate new versions each release...

A feature that will let our users save the MSI configurator settings is already added to our wish list. We will implement it in our future updates.

In addition, when trying to update hosts the simple update feature simply does not work at all.

This is a known issue and this is not an issue specifically with the simple update. For some reason, Windows Restart Manager (which may act as part of the msi installation procedure) fails to restart Remote Utilities Host service after the update.

We decided to completely re-write the update process to make sure the updater takes complete control over the process instead of delegating it to Microsoft's msiexec and the system. So we implemented this change in the current version (6.10.5.0).  

This fix has one downside though - unfortunately, it will not work retrospectively. The new process will start to apply when updating Hosts version 6.10.5.0 (i.e. the current version) and later.

When using the remote install option and pointing the file to an update MSI, installs to remote (i.e. non LAN) locations always fail saying "unable to complete action" with no other explanation.

Could you please send us the description and screenshots of the update process (i.e. which checkboxes you choose, what connection mode and authorization method are used) using the Remote Install tool to support@remote-utilities.com.

Please let me know if you have more questions.
snk-nick, User (Posts: 59)
Mar 27, 2020 5:40:58 am EDT
Hi,

Any updates on this? Redoing all my install versions yet again for a new deployment and it's quite tedious as well as opens me up to error if I get a setting wrong.

There just seems like so many better ways to do this.

Cheers.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 27, 2020 4:29:20 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, we cannot provide any specific ETA on this feature yet. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)