Community

RU Server active tab not showing active connection

Links used in this discussion
MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 68)
Apr 30, 2019 6:30:39 am EDT
I just had a problem where the viewer just stopped working (6.10.8 connecting to 6.10.5 host, server 2.7.9.0). The viewer was still open to see the host's desktop and time frozen at 2:11am, and my time would be 2:19am...

I logged into the RU Server to see if it was still showing as connected. Refreshed the Idle tab, and it was there.  I refreshed the Active tab, and it showed a single entry. The ID had letters and numbers starting with V. The ID shown didn't match any of my numerical ID's so I had a big wtf moment.  The pretty only thing I expected to see when viewing this tab was the ID of the server being accessed, so that's a bug.

For the IP and Computer fields, it was the viewer's IP and computer name.  This really should be the host's Computer Name (in addition) so I can easily see which host is being accessed.

Anyway, so after 12 minutes of not being able to click or refresh the viewer window connected to the host, I performed the simple upgrade to 6.10.8.0. The Viewer window still did not refresh or drop the connection despite the upgrade happening.

After a few minutes for the upgrade to finish, I just closed the viewer and reopened and reconnected manually.  I will say, the reconnect behaviour for RUT isn't very good and it's something I've had to do regularly over the years. It can say its trying to reconnect over and over, but its rare that it actually ever succeeds. It's just faster to close and do Full Control again.

So anyway, I've now reconnected to the host and its staying connected but the RUT server Active tab doesn't show it anymore. So it was appearing under Active when it wasn't working and it's no longer appearing when it really is working.  That's just backwards.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Apr 30, 2019 12:10:11 pm EDT
Hello Max,

Thank you for your message.

The ID had letters and numbers starting with V. The ID shown didn't match any of my numerical ID's so I had a big wtf moment.

This is the Viewer ID. The Active tab in the admin console shows Viewers and Hosts that are currently using this server for a remote session. Please refer to this article for more information.

So it was appearing under Active when it wasn't working and it's no longer appearing when it really is working. That's just backwards

Unfortunately, we couldn't reproduce the issue. However, we plan to release a newer version of Remote Utilities later today. Please try updating Host, Viewer and RU Server once the updated version is out and see if the problem persists.

Please let us know if you have more questions.
MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 68)
Apr 30, 2019 9:28:43 pm EDT

Polina Krasnoborceva wrote:

Hello Max,

Thank you for your message.

The ID had letters and numbers starting with V. The ID shown didn't match any of my numerical ID's so I had a big wtf moment.

This is the Viewer ID. The Active tab in the admin console shows Viewers and Hosts that are currently using this server for a remote session. Please refer to this article  for more information.

So it was appearing under Active when it wasn't working and it's no longer appearing when it really is working. That's just backwards

Unfortunately, we couldn't reproduce the issue. However, we plan to release a newer version of Remote Utilities later today. Please try updating Host, Viewer and RU Server once the updated version is out and see if the problem persists.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

Yea, so the viewer entry appeared but nothing for the host. Can you change the display so that its clear which viewer is connected to which host (one row) instead of two different entries?

Anyway, today upgraded a host from 6.8.1.0 to 6.10.9.0 (seemed to work on 2nd attempt at simple update). Configured Internet ID to use my server. I check the server's Idle tab, and it shows up as my 8th host without me needing to manually refresh.
I'm currently remotely connected into the host and the Active tab is empty. No viewer, no host. Try refreshing, no change, still shows no connections.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
May 02, 2019 7:34:39 am EDT
Hello Max,

We tried to reproduce the issue but without success. Actually, the connections do get listed in the Active tab. Please, note that for connections to consistently show in the Active tab you must be running an active remote session (e.g. Full Control etc.) , not just be logged on.

Another reason for a connection not showing in the Active list can be direct route detection mechanism, that sends the data along a direct route rather than via Internet-ID. This is true if the Host is directly visible from the Viewer (e.g. on the same LAN/VPN) and the Host's listening 5650 port is allowed in firewall settings on the Host machine. A Windows Firewall rule is created automatically during Host installation.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)