Community

latest version screen redraw very slow

Links used in this discussion
Michael Taylor, User (Posts: 50)
May 22, 2019 8:34:50 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
version 6.10.9
ever since upgrading  when I make an initial connection the screen remains black for about 5 seconds, then I need to move the mouse over start menu/other areas. when I do this the screen will begin to redraw itself slowly until it looks normal. I upgraded all my systems (4 hosts, all using windows 10 x64 latest version) and this happens to all of them. setting legacy capture mode resolves but it seems in legacy capture mode the screen view is not as clear as the normal mode... these host are direct (connecting via local IP)

also besides the screen issue the connection itself seems slower, it used to be very fast but in general it seems RU is getting worse... not better, very disappointing.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
May 23, 2019 6:00:20 am EDT
Hello Michael,

Thank you for your message.

these host are direct (connecting via local IP)

If you use direct connection the performance and speed should be near instant (real time). If upgrading to the new version caused such decrease in performance - especially when direct connection is used - we would have been reported that immediately including here on the forum.

Please, send us your Host logs for examination. Also, make sure that you upgraded the Viewer as well and restarted your remote Host PCs after the installation . If you cannot restart the entire Host PCs try restarting the Hosts only.

Hope that helps.
May 23, 2019 3:33:57 pm EDT
yes the viewer  and all my hosts have been updated. this happened right after the last upgrade. all systems have been rebooted multiple times,  I even reinstalled the host on one of my systems to see if it would help. it did not.  the only other option I can try would be to uninstall the viewer from my main system and reinstall it. perhaps something went wrong with the viewer upgrade.
as I mentioned this worked perfectly fine prior to the upgrade,on all my systems then after the upgrade this issue occurs on all my systems not just 1 but all
my network is GB network (managed switches) and my hosts do not have any 3rd party firewall/av installed they all use built in windows defender and windows firewall.

I will see if uninstalling viewer helps since reinstalling host does not. I will also send host logs when I can.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
May 23, 2019 4:00:55 pm EDT
Hello Michael,

Thank you for clarifying.

If the issue persists, please send us the Host logs to support@remote-utilities.com. Here is how to locate the Host logs: https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/host-log/

Please let us know if you have more questions.
May 23, 2019 7:19:53 pm EDT
well uninstalling and reinstalling viewer did not help. perhaps it has something to do with the windows 10 build I have the hosts installed on (1903 18898.100)

not much in the log files to be honest.  but here is a screenshot of the host logs (attached)
Attached Files
May 23, 2019 8:40:50 pm EDT
just curious does remote utilities use an XDDM-based remote display driver?
I'm only asking since I just read one of the features Microsoft has removed  in windows 10 May 2019 update is XDDM-based remote display driver.
the article states:  Independent Software Vendors that use XDDM-based remote display driver should plan a migration to the WDDM driver model.
here is the link to the article I just read.
https://betanews.com/2019/05/23/removed-or-deprecated-in-windows-10-may-2019-update/
here is what the article states regarding XDDM remote display driver:
REMOVED FEATURES:
XDDM-based remote display driver -- Starting with this release the Remote Desktop Services uses a Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) based Indirect Display Driver (IDD) for a single session remote desktop. The support for Windows 2000 Display Driver Model (XDDM) based remote display drivers will be removed in a future release. Independent Software Vendors that use XDDM-based remote display driver should plan a migration to the WDDM driver model.

-Michael
Edited:Michael Taylor - May 23, 2019 8:45:13 pm EDT
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
May 24, 2019 7:14:57 am EDT
Hello Michael,

Remote Utilities doesn't use that display driver.
Pepa Kokes, User (Posts: 32)
May 30, 2019 12:24:23 am EDT
I can confirm I have the same issue on initial redraw. I don't think it came with 6.10.9, I faintly recall being annoyed by this behavior even with older versions (but I am not sure and I certainly don't remember which version started that). I also use direct connections, but I didn't try legacy capture yet.

Two observations:

1) I suspect this may be (partially) caused by the active screen saver. It might be a good idea to "move the mouse" on connection so that the screen saver is turned off.

2) The initial redraw is slow, even if the initial screens (blanking screen saver, fixed-color login screen) are very simple. Once the initial redraw is done, the succeeding redraws are much faster - in fact, redrawing a desktop with complex and diffult-to-compress background is maybe twice as fast as the initial redraw of a one-color lock screen...
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
May 30, 2019 2:16:12 am EDT
Hello Pepa,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please try enabling the legacy capture mode and see if that resolves the issue? It's in the Host options:

Let us know if the issue persists.
Attached Files
Pepa Kokes, User (Posts: 32)
May 30, 2019 2:20:12 am EDT
I already did, but did not observe any change. Note, though, that I did it remotely and wasn't able to restart RU, so I expect the change did not take effect yet. I will restart the computer tomorrow and then test how it behaves.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)