Community

Incompatibility with Microsoft Edge

Pepa Kokes, User (Posts: 32)
May 28, 2019 11:43:09 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Recently I noticed a rather annoying compatibility issue between Remote Utilities (RU) and Microsoft Edge (ME):

I use RU to connect to a remote computer (RC). Everything works fine until I start ME on RC. At that moment the RU connection will fail. Particularly, the display will stop transferring data, will turn to black and white, report a lost connection ("connection was interrupted") and fail to reconnect. If I close the full control window and try to reopen it, I get a "certificate warning - potential security breach" and no matter the choice, the connection will not get established, even if I restart RU.

The only functional solution is to connect to SC in the Task Manager mode and kill Microsoft Edge. That solves the problem and I can once again connect to SC using full control.

Unfortunately, I can't avoid using ME, because there is a case where the application concerned (one that I have to use) will start it on its own. Also, if ME can cause this kind of a failrure, I can't help but worry about which other application will do the same thing. It also makes it rather difficult to switch to RU for my customer support needs (I use it for my own purposes now), because what would I do if the customer actually liked Edge and had it running?

SC is running Windows 10 Pro 1809, ME is updated, RU is 6.10.9.0 on both sides of the connection.

Any help?
May 28, 2019 11:45:22 pm EDT
Just remembered: This incompatibility wasn't always there. There was a time when RU and ME would coexist peacefully. Unfortunately, I can't remember how long that was, as I have been running into this issue for quite a some time until isolating the actual cause and resolution and writing here. It is possible it worked with a pre-6.10. RU or perhaps with an older version of Windows 10.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
May 29, 2019 12:45:19 am EDT
Hello Pepa,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, we couldn't reproduce the issue. However, I've already forwarded this issue to our 2nd tier and development and asked for their input.

I will get back to you soon with their answer.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
May 29, 2019 3:55:41 am EDT
Hello Pepa,

Please, let us know what Edge extensions you have installed.
May 30, 2019 12:12:49 am EDT
Hello Conrad,

I don't have any extensions in Edge, as far as I know. I don't use Edge at all, except that it gets started by your competitor's product to let me enter a description of what I did.

It may be the incompatibility occurs only in certain situations. I use a very non-typical connection scheme with RU, for example (instead of a connection server I use a direct reverse connection [from Host to Control] over a SSL tunnel, and I use screen blanking too; plus the Windows are set up with many specific settings). If RU is able to log the necessary system calls, I can activate the logs, reach the unresponsive state and then send you the results. Perhaps that would be the easiest way of debugging this?

I will also see whether I can replicate the error in a virtual environment, but that may be difficult to achieve.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
May 30, 2019 2:17:08 pm EDT
Hello Pepa,

We would appreciate it if you first try to replicate the error in a virtual environment. Given the non-typical scenario this would take us ages to reproduce it in our laboratory especially given the fact that other RU (and Edge) users did not report this issue.

Thanks.
May 31, 2019 10:57:55 am EDT
I will try. If I can make it, fine. If not, it's good enough that the problem is limited to my computer only.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)