Community

"Unable to create agent's path"

Links used in this discussion
Mark Liquorman, User (Posts: 5)
Jun 06, 2019 5:50:57 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Agent 6.8; Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Downloaded Agent and tried to run it, got that error message.
Jun 06, 2019 5:54:07 pm EDT
Oops, Agent 6.10!
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2991)
Jun 07, 2019 5:44:48 am EDT
Hello Mark,

Thank you for your message.

Could you provide a screenshot of the error since we couldn't reproduce the issue?
Jun 07, 2019 12:15:51 pm EDT
Here it is.  It works on my desktop, also Win10 Pro.  On the laptop that gets the error, it never displays that Windows warning "Do you want this app to make changes to your device?".
Attached Files
"Unable to create agent's path"
Jun 08, 2019 3:58:48 am EDT
Hello Mark,

This problems occurs when the system cannot get access to %appdata% (where the Agent files are extracted once you click on it). In normal circumstances this folder should be accessible for the current user.

Please, try deleting this folder %appdata%\Remote Utilities Agent\ and then re-run the Agent.
Jun 08, 2019 10:07:39 am EDT
Couldn't find that folder on the laptop (but did find it on desktop where it works).  So I even manually created it, still not working.

On a whim, I selected "Run As Admin" and it worked!  Closed it and tried again without specifying "running as admin", and it worked again.  Strange, since I thought one of benefits of Agent was that it didn't need admin privileges?
Jun 10, 2019 4:33:11 am EDT
Hello Mark,

Agent doesn't need admin privileges, that is true. At least not for standard operations such as writing to the current user's %appdata% folder.  

If it's installing applications or other system tasks though the Agent must be run as administrator. Since recently you can re-run the Agent as admin remotely as well.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)