Community

Synced Address Book Error

Links used in this discussion
Matthew Cooper, User (Posts: 38)
Apr 25, 2019 11:16:30 pm EDT
Hello

I am evaluating the software to replace our current remote access system. I am having trouble getting the address book sync to work. I have followed the guide here:
https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/setting-up-sync-server/#Step_4:_Sign_in_on_the_Server_and_enable_address_book_sync

I can connect to the remote address book, but the address book always has a yellow triangle on it, and when I try to add a connection I get the attached popup message. I have installed the viewer on multiple machines, and also on the server itself and the issue is the same.

I have discovered what I think is the cause. I have given a group permission to the whole address book. I have made my users members of the group.
I can make it work by adding the users individually to the address book permissions, however, this is not really ideal for my situation.

Am I doing this wrong or should this work the way I am trying to do it?

I am running server 2.7.9.0 and viewer 6.10.8.0

Matthew
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2991)
Apr 26, 2019 4:23:11 am EDT
Hello Matthew,

Thank you for your message.

A yellow triangle on the cloud icon means that Viewer cannot connect to server to sync the book. This points at connectivity problem, not a permissions problem.

We've just tested setting up address book synс with a group added to permissions list on the top level and every works. We were able to sign in on the server as one of the members of that group and sync the book without an issue.

We could use more screenshots or even a short video. You can send them to support@remoteutilities.com in case you don't to share them on the forum.

Thanks.
Karel Vychodsky, User (Posts: 10)
Jul 29, 2019 8:54:21 am EDT

Conrad Sallian wrote:

Hello Matthew,

Thank you for your message.

A yellow triangle on the cloud icon means that Viewer cannot connect to server to sync the book. This points at connectivity problem, not a permissions problem.

We've just tested setting up address book synс with a group added to permissions list on the top level and every works. We were able to sign in on the server as one of the members of that group and sync the book without an issue.

We could use more screenshots or even a short video. You can send them to support@remoteutilities.com in case you don't to share them on the forum.

Thanks.

Hi,
I found this thread trying to solve same problem. I set up own server - according to manual, firewall and port forwarding, everything works fine, auth, logons, it even gives me the list of address books I have permissions for when I login. But they all appear with exclamation mark and when I try to add a connection to the address book, it gives me the same error as Matt has described before.
So I tried suggested workaround, adding an user to one of the address books rights and voila, that one magicaly became online and avail for editations.
I'm uploading screen (czech version, sorry), the 'Malinova' directory has user 'kajik' added explicitly and works, others have only group 'SkyNet' which the user 'kajik' is member of. Other directories return error 'sync server is unavailable or offline', Malinova directory works flawlessly, changes sync in 2 seconds..

I'm staying tuned if anyone wants to solve this - or if I find the problem..
PS: using free license to check software functions for now
Attached Files
Synced Address Book Error Synced Address Book Error
Jul 29, 2019 9:21:27 am EDT
Furthermore, I just found out the Matt's workaround works only until next program start. All directories fall back to sync error after that.
Attached Files
Synced Address Book Error
Jul 29, 2019 9:27:25 am EDT
Hi Karel,

Please, make sure that the "Active" checkbox is enabled in the group properties:

Synced Address Book Error - 29 Jul 2019 09:27:08
Jul 29, 2019 9:29:30 am EDT
Hi Condrad,

'active' field is checked from the begining.
Jul 29, 2019 11:51:01 am EDT
Hi Karel,

We'll test it out again and get back to you soon. Thanks.
Jul 29, 2019 3:42:06 pm EDT
Hi Karel,

We have thoroughly tested this time again and still couldn't reproduce the issue. Multiple books synchronization works as expected with a group added as security principal just as with a single user.  See the attached screenshots.

Please try resetting your Viewer configuration by closing the Viewer and deleting the file config_4.xml found in %appdata%\Remote Utilties Files\ folder. Don't worry, deleting this file won't affect your address books, it's just a file where Viewer keeps its settings/options.

Then start the Viewer again and see if the problem persists.

Thanks.
Attached Files
Synced Address Book Error Synced Address Book Error Synced Address Book Error Synced Address Book Error Synced Address Book Error Synced Address Book Error Synced Address Book Error
Matthew Cooper, User (Posts: 38)
Jul 29, 2019 6:21:11 pm EDT
Just for clarity, I was never able to solve my issue. But I did find that my work around has been able to allow us to work. We have been through several reboots and start / stops of the software and the permissions persist, but the group permission doesn't seem to take effect for us.

I had to add the users manually and everything has worked since.

Matthew
Jul 30, 2019 1:34:05 am EDT
Hi Conrad,
deleting files also didn't help..
I was guessing it could be some missing port forward, is TCP 5655 enough?? No more ports needed?? But after Matt's workaround, I think this is not the core of problem.. I also assume you're testing it on LAN, I'm trying to make it work on the internet (?).
I'm also in testing phase, as we want to buy a PRO license, but I want to see how well the software works.. I mean: I can give you access to my 'server' (Win10) if you want to try the 'buggy' configuration, we have TCP 5655 and 3389 (RDP) forwarded. Directory structure and users can be deleted as well as two saved test connections..

And thanks to Matt for update.

At worst scenario I can reinstall whole server and see if it works.

Karel
Edited:Karel Vychodsky - Jul 30, 2019 1:36:12 am EDT

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)