New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

No launch icon after installing Host version

Links used in this discussion
brian tolver, User (Posts: 4)
Aug 10, 2019 7:26:50 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I'm a brand new user. I installed Viewer on my remote PC ok, but when I downloaded Host to my host PC, it went through the copying and installing phases, apparently successfully, BUT:
a) there's no launch icon anywhere - how do I launch it?
b) it didn't tell me, or ask me, what the Internet Id is.
Can you advise please?

Thanks
Brian T
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Aug 10, 2019 8:34:48 am EDT
Hello Brian,

Thank you for your questions.

a) there's no launch icon anywhere - how do I launch it?

The Host runs as a system service and the default setting is to auto-start with Windows. You can tell if the Host is running by its icon in the system tray area (where the clock is).

That said, the Host can still be set to start manually. Please, refer to this page for more information.

b) it didn't tell me, or ask me, what the Internet Id is.

You need to enable the Internet-ID in the host settings and then copy it to the Viewer to use as the address of the remote computer. This guide will help you set up an Internet-ID connection https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/connecting-over-the-internet/
Aug 13, 2019 10:49:33 am EDT
Thanks for your response to my question.

I have uninstalled the Remote Utilities (Host version), and I also uninstalled the antivirus package just to be sure it wasn't interfering. And I edited the registry, and I deleted all the Remote Utilities files I could find. Then I rebooted and downloaded Remote Utilities again, but with the same results - it goes through the Install process, apparently successfully, asks me for a password etc. This time, I have noticed that the Remote Utilities icon DOES appear in the Taskbar, BUT ONLY during  the install process - as soon as the process finishes, the icon disappears from the Taskbar.

I'm wondering if I'm choosing the correct option on install - I get three choices when I ask to download the Host version, I get:
   Installable Host (.exe)
   Run-only agent   (.exe)
    Installable Host (.msi)
I'm using the first of these, which downloads a file called host6.10.exe in a folder called Remote Utilities.
It does NOT get automatically run, I have to go to Command Prompt to execute it, but that appears to install as I've said above.

Am I doing it wrong?

Brian
Aug 13, 2019 10:56:42 am EDT
I forgot to say two things.

The Remote Utilities does appear in the Processes tab of Task Manager (3 items under that name).

When I "Start Host" in the Windows search field, it accepts what I'm doing, but I get nothing else on the screen .
I can't find any way to know what the Internet ID is, or how I can set it.

Brian
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Aug 13, 2019 5:09:22 pm EDT
Hello Brian,

Thank you for the details.

This time, I have noticed that the Remote Utilities icon DOES appear in the Taskbar, BUT ONLY during the install process - as soon as the process finishes, the icon disappears from the Taskbar.

The Host icon is not visible in the taskbar when the Host is running. The Host icon is located in the system tray, near the clock:
No launch icon after installing Host version - 13 Aug 2019 04:45:47

I can't find any way to know what the Internet ID is, or how I can set it.

You can right-click on the Host icon in the system tray and select Internet-ID Connection Settings...:
No launch icon after installing Host version - 13 Aug 2019 05:03:31
In the opened window select Get New ID:
No launch icon after installing Host version - 13 Aug 2019 05:05:26

Let me know if you have more questions.
Aug 14, 2019 10:47:26 am EDT
Hooray ! It works !!

Thankyou very much for your help, I'm all ok now.

Brian
Aug 14, 2019 11:55:24 am EDT
Hello Brian,

I'm glad to hear we were able to help!

Let us know if you have more questions.
Aaron McVanner, User (Posts: 9)
Aug 22, 2019 8:25:12 am EDT
Hello Polina,
I am having a similar issue as Brian.  I installed the Host and can see Remote Utilities - Host folder in the start menu, but it does not display in the system tray.
I have open the host settings and checked and then unchecked the "Hide tray icon menu" (thinking it is some sort of bug).  No matter what I do, the host icon does not display in the system tray.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Aaron
Aug 22, 2019 2:12:56 pm EDT
Hello Aaron,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify if the Host startup mode is set to auto or manual? You can check it in the Host settings on the Service state tab:
No launch icon after installing Host version - 22 Aug 2019 01:50:25
Also, please try to start the Host manually:
1. In the Windows search box type "Start Host".
2. Click Start Host in the search results.
No launch icon after installing Host version - 22 Aug 2019 02:11:55
Then check if rfusclient.exe and rutserv.exe are present in the list of processes on the Host PC.
For more information on rfusclient.exe and rutserv.exe please refer to this KB article.
In addition, please clarify if the Host PC was restarted after the installation?

Looking forward to your reply.
Aaron McVanner, User (Posts: 9)
Aug 22, 2019 3:28:42 pm EDT
Hi Polina,
The service is installed, running and set to Auto.  I confirmed all of those things prior to posting.

I also started the host manually by running the Start Host in the Windows search box.  I then went into Services (services.msc) and confirmed RMANService is running (Remote Utilities - Host).

rfusclient.exe is running on the host PC.  However, rutserv.exe is running twice - once under my username and once under SYSTEM.

I haven't rebooted the host PC because it running Hyper-V with running virtual machines.  I'll restart the host PC now.

Thanks,
Aaron

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)