New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

New install - "At least one authorization method must be enabled"

Links used in this discussion
Mark Haller, User (Posts: 2)
Sep 17, 2019 4:51:38 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Just installed the Host on my Windows 10 laptop.
And installed the Viewer on my office Windows 10 PC.

I'm on the office PC and enabled auto-ping and can see the remote laptop online.

However, when trying to connect I see "At least one authorization method must be enabled on remote Host"

This is a brand new 6.10.10.0 install.  Out of the box stuff.  I've added a password to the laptop login.

What gives?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Sep 17, 2019 9:26:20 am EDT
Hello Mark,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify if you have enabled at least one authorization method on the remote Host and set the password for this method? If no authorization method is enabled, you will not be able to connect to this Host as there are no technical, blank or default passwords for security reasons. Here's a relatable Documentation article that might be helpful: https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/security/

Please let me know if there is any authorization method enabled and the password is set but the issue still persists.

Looking forward to your reply.
Mark Haller, User (Posts: 2)
Sep 18, 2019 6:25:58 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I'm so sorry for wasting time here - having used alternate software, I just assumed something would be in place by default.  Perhaps it would be good if the software prompted "you've not selected any authorisation method - nobody will be able to connect until you do so" before closing the install.  Just an idea.

I've gone back, as you clearly explained, and now selected simple password.  Thank you - funnily enough it now works!
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Sep 18, 2019 3:17:30 pm EDT
Hello Mark,

I'm glad to hear we were able to help!

Thank you for your suggestion. I will forward it to our developers for review to see if it can be added to our roadmap.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)