New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Enter, Shift, Ctrl and Alt keys not working on connections

Links used in this discussion
Thomas Marullo, User (Posts: 8)
Aug 15, 2018 2:14:47 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Just a quick update. I can have Synergy running but as long as no active connections are in place, the Viewer and keyboard keys all work fine. It's only when an active connection is made that they don't work.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Aug 16, 2018 9:13:45 am EDT
Hi Thomas,

Thank you. We will contact Synergy regarding this matter.
Steve Best, User (Posts: 5)
Nov 22, 2019 8:21:04 am EST
Hi everyone

Having the exact same issue.

Using latest viewer version (Version 6.10.10.0, July 2, 2019) and host (Version 6.10.10.0, July 2, 2019.)

Other typical keys (alphanumeric) work fine but command keys like CTRL, ENTER do not register at all.  This issue only occurs from the viewer on my Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 laptop.  I can connect from my desktop computer and other computers to the same host with the same viewer version, and the issue is not present.

So it does appear to be something machine-specific like other interfering software.  I have read the thread above but I do not have synergy installed or anything that I believe would interfere.

Is there any way I can progress this issue to get help finding out what the issue is?  If someone in support would like to remote into my laptop, I could set this up if you want to contact me.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the viewer.  I have tried downgrading to 6.9 and 6.8 but all versions exhibit the same problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Steve.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Nov 22, 2019 4:04:40 pm EST
Hello Steve,

Sorry for the late reply.

Could you please if there is any antivirus software installed on the Viewer machine? Please double-check your antivirus software settings, and specifically add both Viewer and Host to its exceptions list (i.e. white list).

Also, please try resetting the Viewer configuration file in case if it was somehow corrupted by antivirus software.
In order to reset the Viewer settings please, do the following:
1. Fully exit the Viewer File -> Exit.
2. Locate the file config_4.xml in the C:\Users\[Your_username]\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files\ folder.
Please note that the AppData folder might be hidden by default in which case you need to enable Hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer settings.
3. Remove the config_4.xml file from that folder.
This will reset the Viewer settings. Your address books won't be affected by this action. However, you might need to register the Viewer with your license key again.
4. Run the Viewer and see the issue still persists.

In addition, please try switching the keyboard input model to Unicode input in the Connection properties - Keyboard section and let us know if it solves the issue:
Enter, Shift, Ctrl and Alt keys not working on connections - 22 Nov 2019 04:00:20

Looking forward to your reply.
Nov 24, 2019 4:52:05 am EST
Hi

Thank you for the comprehensive reply

I have no antivirus software other than Windows 10 defender.  I have added the 'Viewer' folder within Program Files to the exclusions list just in case.   No difference

I have tried deleting the config file - I had to re-enter my license as you hinted.  No difference.

I have tried setting the keyboard setting to Unicode. No difference

Would appreciate any further advice or suggestions?

Kind regards,

Steve.
Edited:Steve Best - Nov 24, 2019 4:52:49 am EST
Nov 25, 2019 11:59:57 am EST
Hello Steve,

Thank you for the clarification and the provided details.

I will forward the issue to our developers to see if there's anything we can do to fix it.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I'll keep you updated.
Nov 25, 2019 2:50:22 pm EST
Hello Steve,

Thank you for your patience.

Could you please specify the exact model of your laptop and the list of third-party software that you have installed on it? You can send the list to support@remoteutilities.com.

In addition, here's a related community thread.One of the users in the thread managed to resolve the issue by uninstalling one of the 2 Office 365 versions that were installed on their machine and by changing their firewall settings for the internet sharing mode from a public to a private network. Maybe this thread could be helpful.

Looking forward to your reply.
Nov 26, 2019 7:16:43 am EST
Hi Polina

I have emailed support with my laptop specs and list of installed sofware.  In case anyone is having the same problem as me, my device is a Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 7390, which is very new in the market.

I have no antivirus software other than Windows Defender which I have tried adding an exclusion for the Program Files\Viewer folder.  I have tried disabling Windows Firewall across all zones (domain, private, public).  I have also reviewed my list of software and I only have a single copy of Office 365 Business Premium installed which is 100% up to date.

It'd very strange!  I can only guess at it being some incompatibility with some pre-installed Dell software.

Look forward to any further updates or suggestions

Thanks, and kind regards,

Steve.
Nov 26, 2019 8:40:01 am EST
Hello Steve,

Thank you for the provided details.

I will forward the issue along with the list of the software you have provided to our developers and ask for their input. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I’ll get back to you with their reply soon.
Nov 26, 2019 4:59:09 pm EST
Hello Steve,

Thank you for your patience.

I checked with our developers on the issue - unfortunately, it's hard to tell what software exactly might be causing the issue as it is related to the keyboard capture method.

The issue might be indeed caused by some pre-installed Dell software. Could you please refer to the Dell support service with the same detailed description of the problem? Hopefully, they can point to something that might be causing it.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)