Community

failed connection until host restarted

Links used in this discussion
pujro, User (Posts: 4)
Dec 18, 2019 4:28:43 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Basically trying Remote Utilities out. Three days in and find that using internet connection id, I have to use the "restart host" option every day(ironically by connecting with another remote access program! - that I'm trying to replace). After doing this it's fine until the day after, then it fails again and I go through the same thing again.
Any suggestions.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
Dec 19, 2019 8:32:04 am EST
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify if the remote Host machine stays on after the Host was restarted and the connection to the machine was successfully established? Or if the remote machine is off, for example, at nights?

Also, could you please check if the Host's Startup mode is set to Auto or Manual? In order to check it, please right-click on the Host icon in the system tray and select Settings for Host, then navigate to the Service state tab:
failed connection until host restarted - 19 Dec 2019 08:29:44
If the Startup mode is set to Manual, please try switching it to Auto.

In addition, please double-check if the Host service is running on the remote Host machine when the issue occurs?
failed connection until host restarted - 19 Dec 2019 08:22:57

If the Host service is not running on the remote machine at the moment when the issue occurs, please try referring to this troubleshooting guide before we can proceed to further troubleshooting.

Please let me know if the issue persists.
Dec 19, 2019 9:05:46 am EST
Hi, thanks for that. It's not that the host isn't running, it's that it doesn't respond. I just tried again now, won't connect(see images), tries, says connected, then fails.
I then go onto the pc using another remote connection tool and the host is still running, but I just noticed the icon was Red. I right click it, restart host, and it works again for the rest of the day, but the day after it doesn't respond again.  The pc in question is on 24/7 and the settings you suggested are on auto.
Cheers
Attached Files
failed connection until host restarted failed connection until host restarted
Dec 19, 2019 4:56:43 pm EST
Hello,

Thank you for the clarification.

Red Host icon in the system tray means that there's currently an active remote session in progress.

Please try referring to this KB troubleshooting guide and see if any of the solutions that are listed in the article help to resolve the issue.
If none of the solutions helped and the issue still persists, please send us the Host log files for examination. The Host logs are located in the following location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\Logs\
In addition, please send us the Viewer connection logs as well. Here's a guide on how to enable the connection log.
Please send the log files to support@remoteutilities.com.

Looking forward to your reply.
Dec 20, 2019 3:21:49 am EST
Hi, thanks for that. Nothing in the article applies, well, as far as I can tell anyway. If a red icon means it's connected - I realised the password window doesn't come up at all - does that indicate anything?
Either way, I'll get those logs as soon as I can. I'll try on another pc as well, just to eliminate this pc.
Dec 20, 2019 12:17:41 pm EST
Tried again just now, on two pc's, won't connect. Connected again using other software and icon this time is green, just right clicked and restarted, all good again. I've switched the logs on, so we'll see what happens. I'll send over in a day or two.
Dec 20, 2019 5:01:17 pm EST
Hello,

Thank you for the clarification.

If a red icon means it's connected - I realised the password window doesn't come up at all - does that indicate anything?

Usually, in case if the Viewer asks for the password, it means that there are no issues with the connectivity. But, in this case, as it was mentioned above, the remote PC runs 24/7, so it might simply mean that the Viewer is already authorized on the remote Host and, therefore, there is no need to enter the credentials.

I'll send over in a day or two.

Of course, feel free to send us the logs anytime.

Looking forward to your reply.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)