Community

Certain keys (Enter, CTRL, Shift etc) not working on Remote Host

Links used in this discussion
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Dec 19, 2019 1:50:24 pm EST
Hello Mike,

Thank you for the clarification.

I have forwarded the issue to our development department and asked for their input on the issue.
In addition, could you please clarify if there's any firewall/antivirus software installed on the remote Host machines where the issue occurs?

I will get back to you with an update soon.
Mike Greene, User (Posts: 19)
Dec 19, 2019 1:56:30 pm EST
Just the standard Windows Defender for anti-virus and the default windows firewall.

To be clear, I am able to connect to the remote host and all keys work  fine from my Win7pro laptop, attempt to do the same from the Win10Pro machine and the keys are non-op.

This doesn't appear to be a 'host' issue, more likely a recent security update on the Win10 'viewer' system.  

Though rolling back updates to October didn't resolve the problem and the one update installed on 11/12 will not uninstall and I've not looked into if that can be rolled back via some other means.
J Mo, User (Posts: 2)
Dec 19, 2019 3:29:31 pm EST
Well nevermind about the Office Service. Problem came back for me just now. Will keep tshooting.
Dec 19, 2019 4:03:38 pm EST
Hello Mike and J,

Thank you for all the provided details.

I have forwarded the issue to our developers. We will look into it and see if we can do anything to fix the issue. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I will keep you updated.
Dec 20, 2019 9:06:52 am EST
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your patience.

We prepared a test version of an updated Viewer in order to fix the issue: https://www.remoteutilities.com/test/viewer_2019-12-20.zip
Please replace the existing Viewer .exe file in the Viewer installation folder (by default it's C:\Program Files\Remote Utilities - Viewer\) to the .exe file above and run it as administrator. Then please try connecting to the remote Host machine, press the left CTRL key for a few times and close the Viewer.

In the Viewer installation folder, the Logs catalog will appear that will contain a log file. Please send it to us to support@remoteutilities.com.

In addition, when running the Viewer as administrator, see if there is any difference and if the issue still persists.
Also, when sending us the log files, please attach the information on the configuration of the machine where the Viewer is running.

Looking forward to your reply.
Mike Greene, User (Posts: 19)
Dec 20, 2019 11:23:59 am EST
Just sent you the event log file.  FYI, on my RU installation the program and event logs were at the following locations:

Event log files reside here: ..\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files\EventLog
Program installation here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Viewer

Slight improvement, at the CTL-ALT-DEL login screen the shift and enter work, once the desktop loads the CTRL and ENTER do not work, but the SHIFT key does.  (right and left shift)

Running as "administrator" didn't change anything.
Dec 20, 2019 12:55:37 pm EST
Hello Mike,

Thank you for the provided information.

I've forwarded it along with the log file we received to our developers.

I'll keep you updated.
Alex Shaw, User (Posts: 4)
Dec 28, 2019 6:37:19 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
I have another machine that I remote into, and it was working properly until it rebooted yesterday after it automatically installed updates.  Here are the updates installed:
KB4533002
KB4530684

Please see screenshot.  This machine doesn't even have MS Office (or click to run).  It has to do with .NET Framework either 3.5 or 4.8.
Attached Files
Certain keys (Enter, CTRL, Shift etc) not working on Remote Host
George Petrou, User (Posts: 4)
Dec 30, 2019 2:52:11 am EST
Dear Polina,
I have the same problem as the other users, Ctrl & Shift keys are not working on host
Please advice

George
George Petrou, User (Posts: 4)
Dec 30, 2019 2:53:41 am EST
Dear Polina,
I have the same problem as the other users, Ctrl & Shift keys are not working on host Please advice

George

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)