Community

Why have I (if I have) got a south African IP connected o me?

Links used in this discussion
Peter Hucker, User (Posts: 23)
Jan 17, 2020 2:20:15 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
I have three PCs, one controls the other two with Remote utilities.

On one of the hosts, the remote utilities configuration (and the tray icon) say I have TWO IP addresses.  One of them on each is the correct LAN address I expect.  But they both have an additional unknown one.

One of them has 192.168.1.64 (the correct LAN address) and 169.254.18.87 (which is in South Africa!  I'm in the UK)

The other has 192.168.1.66 (the correct LAN address) and 192.168.56.1 (Where on earth is that? My LAN is 192.168.1.*)

Can anyone explain why there are two addresses, and what they are?
Peter Hucker, User (Posts: 23)
Jan 17, 2020 2:26:51 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Ok I think I find why - nothing to do with Remote Utilities.  It's Oracle Virtualbox which is in use for BOINC.  It gives me another IP for some reason, I'll ask them why one is in another country!
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
Jan 17, 2020 4:33:26 pm EST
Hello Peter,

Thank you for your message.

Glad to hear you've figured out the issue! Yes, perhaps it might be caused by the Oracle Virtualbox software as a virtual machine usually can be configured to have its own IP address, different from the IP address of the host system. Please do refer to the Oracle Virtualbox support or user guides. Remote Utilities only generates an Internet-ID code when Internet-ID connection is used and uses the IP address assigned to the Host machine when Direct connection is used.

Please feel free to let us know if there are any updates on the issue or if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)