Community

[ Closed ] Remote Utilities 6.12 Beta

Links used in this discussion
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 03, 2020 9:44:23 am EST
Hello Max,

Thank you for your feedback.

It would be better if the viewer could update hosts to 6.12 instead of 6.10.10. You're going to get less beta testing if you need to manually update it out of band on the host directly instead of remotely.

Actually, it is possible to update Hosts remotely via Viewer. In order to do this, please consider using the Advanced update method via the Remote Install Tool as described in this tutorial. You only need to download the latest Host .msi package, i.e. in this case, the 6.12.1.0 (Beta 1) version and then sel ect it within the Remote Install Tool window:
Remote Utilities 6.12 Beta - 03 Mar 2020 09:06:49

when I click into a Viewer session, the initial mouse click is several inches to the left of where I click, and its super frustrating when you go to click into a window and your click takes effect somewhere else on the screen, taking the main window out of focus.

Could you please let me know what options are selected for the cursor in the Connection properties -> the Cursor tab?

I just did a host upgrade over RDP from 6.10.10 to 6.12.1. It was in the process of installing, I walked away and when I came back, the final screen saying the installation was finished was 90% off the screen and needed to be dragged back to the center of the screen.

Could you please also let me know if it's possible to check if the issue re-occurs when updating another remote Host via RDP or Remote Install Tool as described above? I've just tried updating Host both ways and, unfortunately, couldn't reproduce the issue - the installation window did not move fr om its initial place.

Looking forward to your reply.
MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 68)
Mar 03, 2020 7:51:45 pm EST

Polina Krasnoborceva wrote:

Hello Max,

Thank you for your feedback.

It would be better if the viewer could upd ate hosts to 6.12 instead of 6.10.10. You're going to get less beta testing if you need to manually upd ate it out of band on the host directly instead of remotely.

Actually, it is possible to update Hosts remotely via Viewer. In order to do this, please consider using the Advanced update method via the Remote Install Tool  as described in  this tutorial . You only need to download the latest Host .msi package, i.e. in this case, the  6.12.1.0 (Beta 1) version  and then sel ect it within the Remote Install Tool window:

Thanks, this seems to work? I hope there is some work done on the version status and current status in the Viewer. It's annoying when it appears or doesn't appear, or wrong when it appears... I upgraded several hosts to 6.12.1 and after reconnecting to them, they reflected that in the Viewer.  Hours later, I went to remotely edit the registry on a different host and the Viewer crashed (I submitted the error reports since it prompted and was easy) and needed to be End Tasked to close. But when I reopened the Viewer, all the hosts that previously showed 6.12.1 are back to showing 6.10.10 version or even 6.10.5. Why can't the Viewer monitor the status of the upgrade and so it knows when an upgrade is successful and therefore can immediately know the version, or the host does a callback with the version info? I complained about this in the past and thought there was a plan to improve on that in the future...

when I click into a Viewer session, the initial mouse click is several inches to the left of where I click, and its super frustrating when you go to click into a window and your click takes effect somewhere else on the screen, taking the main window out of focus.

Could you please let me know what options are selected for the cursor in the Connection properties -> the Cursor tab ?

I don't ever change these, its the default settings. "Se t remote cursor shape to local cursor" and "View only mode active". I tried each combination and never noticed a difference.

I just did a host upgrade over RDP from 6.10.10 to 6.12.1. It was in the process of installing, I walked away and when I came back, the final screen saying the installation was finished was 90% off the screen and needed to be dragged back to the center of the screen.

Could you please also let me know if it's possible to check if the issue re-occurs when updating another remote Host via RDP or Remote Install Tool as described above? I've just tried updating Host both ways and, unfortunately, couldn't reproduce the issue - the installation window did not move fr om its initial place.

I have not seen it again, but I've only done advanced remote installs since then.

But the biggest issue I'm having is not being able to mouse click anything and then when I reconnect, only getting a black screen.

Just now:
Right clicked on a host to do Full Control
  • Takes 8 seconds to fail the first authorization attempt and then the window opens
  • The top RUT bar appears but screen is black. I am still counting over 70 seconds waiting for desktop to appear and then I mouse click the window and get the login screen. I go to click into the password box and no mouse pointer and cannot click the password box.
  • I close the session window and try again.
  • Black screen, no amount of mouse clicks gets the login screen to appear anymore.
  • Tried on another host at same location, and getting "Loading remote screen...", "Connection was interrupted..." for over 60 seconds and then eventually with me mouse clicking a bunch of times, login screen appears, but cannot type into password box or see mouse movements.

I was really hoping to see the amount of time it takes to connect to be dramatically reduced. It's regularly MUCH, MUCH higher with RUT than any other remote access program.

The hosts are in my town. Using relay server that is 15ms ping away in Seattle datacenter tests in the hundreds of Mbps on speedtests. Has 4 cores and 8GB RAM and it ONLY does RUT relay stuff. The connection time with RUT is just unacceptable and my biggest grievance with the software. With RDP, the biggest slowdown is clicking the popup boxes you need to acknowledge. With other remote software, double clicking on a host to getting desktop drawn on my screen is seconds, as in sub 6 seconds 99% of the time. RUT doesn't do better than 8 seconds on the best days. It was just 10 seconds to another host at the same location as the ones I can't login to. It's still at 6.10.10 and I won't be upgrading that to 6.12.1.
Mar 04, 2020 10:58:15 am EST
Hello Max,

I'm glad to hear we were able to help!

Why can't the Viewer monitor the status of the upgrade and so it knows when an upgrade is successful and therefore can immediately know the version, or the host does a callback with the version info? I complained about this in the past and thought there was a plan to improve on that in the future...

Of course, there are definitely some improvements planned for the update process, namely, the process of the Host version's number fetching after the update and the upgrade status as well. We have already partially implemented some of them back in April, however, we still have this improvement in our roadmap and will do our best to implement it as soon as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Could you please also confirm if the Hosts were successfully updated but the Viewer was showing the wrong version?

But the biggest issue I'm having is not being able to mouse click anything and then when I reconnect, only getting a black screen.

Could you please let me know if you have the Use legacy capture mode feature enabled in the Settings for Host -> Other tab? If not, could you please try enabling it and see if it helps to resolve the black screen issue?
In addition, please also double-check if you have the Monitor driver installed on the Host's side. If it's installed, please try uninstalling the driver as it's only needed for the blank screen feature. You can check if the Monitor driver is installed in the Settings for Host -> Driver tab.
Here's also a related KB article that might be helpful.

It's regularly MUCH, MUCH higher with RUT than any other remote access program.

Please try referring to this KB article regarding the troubleshooting of the slow remote connection speed. If you have already tried the solutions listed there but none of them helped to resolve the issue, then you might send us the Host log files for the examination. The Host logs can be found in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\Logs\ folder. In addition, you might send us the Viewer log file as well, it might help to diagnose if there are any connection problems on the Viewer side.
Please send the log files to support@remoteutilities.com and do not post them on the forum.

Mar 04, 2020 10:37:18 pm EST
Polina,

Could you please also confirm if the Hosts were successfully upd ated but the Viewer was showing the wrong version?

Unable to confirm. I thought I upgraded each client in two offices to 6.12.1. Today, I was onsite at one of the offices and confirmed seeing 6.10.10 running on a specific host (so my initial response would have been "no, they didn't actually get upd ated"). I got home, did the advanced remote install again (technically, on a different PC than I did before), waited 3 minutes and reconnected. The host reported 6.12.1.  So, not reproduced. I'll see if I have any more hosts I can try.

Could you please let me know if you have the Use legacy capture mode feature enabled in the Settings for Host -> Other tab? If not, could you please try enabling it and see if it helps to resolve the black screen issue?

Yes, that works. It was unchecked by default. After enabling it, I was able to connect and type into the password field to login. I closed and reconnected a couple of times, haven't seen the black screen come back and the mouse/KB have been responsive since enabling Legacy mode.

However, it didn't resolve the weird mouse offset focus problem. In the lower right corner I right clicked on the RUT hosts icon, and the menu opened up on the far left side! I've now observed this on multiple hosts, both 6.10.10 and 6.12.1. Previously, I was clicking the middle or bottom middle of the screen and seeing mouse act like it was coming from the left. Today was the far right click that still behaved like it came from the left side of the screen.

Remote Utilities 6.12 Beta - 04 Mar 2020 10:19:34

Please try referring to this KB article regarding the troubleshooting of the slow remote connection speed. If you have already tried the solutions listed there but none of them helped to resolve the issue, then you might send us the Host log files for the examination.

Note, the connection isn't slow, just the time to establish it in the first place is slow, in my opinion. I think its the authorization being set to "auto".  By default, they are se t to auto. When I connected to 3 hosts, I could see it do the first of 5 attempts, fail and succeed on the next attempt. This all takes like 12-13 seconds or more.
On the 4 host, I just went and changed it from Auto to single password mode, and it seemed to take much less time, like 5 seconds instead of 15. It didn't show me any window about trying the first of 5 attempts and failing on the first try. I just se t another host to use single password instead of auto. It took about 12 seconds for the remote desktop to appear.  It feels like it saved a few seconds, but not enough cycles to know if that is consistent or just my brain getting fooled.

I'll see about getting some Viewer logs to see if there is any time being wasted that can be avoided.
Mar 04, 2020 11:10:14 pm EST
Also, my viewer PC has 3 monitors. I am suspicious that is related. I'll try and take a video of the issue.
Mar 05, 2020 3:52:40 am EST
I figured out why I thought I upgraded a bunch of hosts but wasn't reporting 6.12.1. It actually failed and I just didn't realize. I'd suggest making the failure more noticeable, like red text instead of the same blue.

***** Start of log *****
Date: 3/5/2020 12:48:35 AM
Action: install/upgrade.
Checking files of the Host.
----------
Action for: User ()
Auth try to the host...
Authorization completed.
Installation process has already begun. Wait for completion.
Unable to complete action.
***** End of log *****
Mar 05, 2020 10:19:20 am EST
Hello Max,

Thanks for the provided details.

So, not reproduced. I'll see if I have any more hosts I can try.

Of course, please let us know if the issue reoccurs again.

Yes, that works. It was unchecked by default. After enabling it, I was able to connect and type into the password field to login.

I'm glad to hear this worked for you!
As for the mouse pointer focus problem - I've forwarded the issue to our developers and asked for their input on this. I'll get back to you soon with their reply.

Note, the connection isn't slow, just the time to establish it in the first place is slow, in my opinion. I think its the authorization being set to "auto". By default, they are se t to auto. When I connected to 3 hosts, I could see it do the first of 5 attempts, fail and succeed on the next attempt. This all takes like 12-13 seconds or more.

Thank you for the clarification. Auto is just the recommended setting for the Authorization method when it's set to Auto, the Viewer tries authorization methods in the following order:
1. Custom Server Security (CSS)
2. Windows Security
3. Remote Utilities Security
4. Single password
However, I will additionally check with my coworkers if the Authorization method being set to Auto can affect the time that it takes to establish a connection or if there's something else that might be affecting it.

I figured out why I thought I upgraded a bunch of hosts but wasn't reporting 6.12.1. It actually failed and I just didn't realize. I'd suggest making the failure more noticeable, like red text instead of the same blue.

Of course, I will forward this to our development department to see if we can improve the installation log in our future updates. Thank you for the suggestion!

I'll get back to you soon with updates on the issues above.
Mar 06, 2020 4:40:02 pm EST
Hello Max,

Thank you for your patience.

I checked with our developers on both issues:

1. Unfortunately, we could not reproduce the mouse pointer issue. Could you please confirm that you have both - Viewer and remote Host upd ated to the latest 6.12 beta version and the issue still persists in this case?
In addition, please try disabling the touchpad or altering its sensitivity in the Windows settings.
Also please double-check if the mouse software is updated to the latest version which might be downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

2. As for the time it takes to establish a connection to remote Host - the Authorization method se t to Auto does not affect it. Could you please check if it takes the same amount of time to establish a connection to a remote Host in case if our public Internet-ID server is used as an intermediary instead of the self-hosted RU Server?

Mar 06, 2020 7:34:43 pm EST

Polina Krasnoborceva wrote:

Hello Max,

Thank you for your patience.

I checked with our developers on both issues:

1. Unfortunately, we could not reproduce the mouse pointer issue. Could you please confirm that you have both - Viewer and remote Host upd ated to the latest 6.12 beta version and the issue still persists in this case?
In addition, please try disabling the touchpad or altering its sensitivity in the Windows settings.
Also please double-check if the mouse software is upd ated to the latest version which might be downloaded fr om the manufacturer's website.

2. As for the time it takes to establish a connection to remote Host - the Authorization method se t to Auto does not affect it. Could you please check if it takes the same amount of time to establish a connection to a remote Host in case if our public Internet-ID server is used as an intermediary instead of the self-hosted RU Server?

1. Can confirm this happens with Viewer 6.12.1 with hosts 6.10.10 and 6.12.1. Ran into this again today. I installed the 6.10.3 using the silent installer made last year. It failed to upgrade to 6.12.1 through advanced install. I upgraded it to 6.10.10 through simple install and then 6.12.1 through advanced install. A reboot might have been necessary for it to successfully upgrade to 6.12.1. Then I was trying to copy/paste username/password from my PC to the viewer session, getting the offset mouse problem EVERY TIME. It was really frustrating.

Generally, I'll install the silent installer on site when a new PC or new employee starts. The code gets emailed to me, but because there is no usable Android viewer that can take that code, I can't do a remote access and click on the pop up while I'm there in person.  So then this pop up happens some time later, after an upgrade, or when I'm checking the host version (because its not shown in the Viewer, for example). And then the pop up stays on the persons screen until they come in the next morning and freak the F out.

The silent installer is useful for ensuring the proper settings are consistently set and no typo's due to Internet ID's, passwords, IP's, etc. But the hard pop up that can't be moved and has a scary worded message makes that feature completely useless unless I'm setting up the computer at my home.

2. I would only have 1-2 hosts still left on public servers, but I won't login to them for fear of the stupid pop up message that blocks the right side taskbar until the user at the host clicks OK to warn the user someone is remote accessing their machine. I don't have a record of every time I've installed a host and took care of that. I can tell you at least 4 times wh ere this pop up has caused panic and alarm or just outright prevented me from doing maintenance due to blocking the taskbar.  I thought from previous feedback on how poorly users think of this feature that something was going to change in future versions... I think you guys are more working on linux and mac support than fixing the issues that have bugging me for a long time. *sigh*

One of these times I'll record the process of what it goes through compared to other services in terms of initial connection time.

New issue. Install RUT using a silent installer made against 6.10.3. When I went to add the code in 6.12.1, it said I needed to use the same Viewer version as what was used to generate it! Jeepers, that is another strike against the silent installer feature.  If I had installed the silent installer, got home and then got this message without an opportunity to manually se t a new password so I could manually add to the Viewer, I probably would just give up on RUT right then and there and move to another solution. Try and only break backwards compatibility on major versions, not on minor versions, I beg you!

Remote Utilities 6.12 Beta - 06 Mar 2020 07:28:43
Mar 10, 2020 1:24:23 pm EDT
Hello Max,

Thank you for the provided details.

Could you please let us know if you have tried adjusting the touchpad settings or updating the mouse software on the Viewer's side?
Unfortunately, we cannot reproduce the issue which means that it only manifests itself in certain circumstances.

So then this pop up happens some time later

Could you please clarify if you mean the First connection warning window? If this is the case, then we are considering the revamp of the First connection warning window along with some other features. However, unfortunately, we cannot provide any specific ETA on this yet.

I'm checking the host version (because its not shown in the Viewer, for example)

Actually, it's also possible to check the Host version in the Viewer if you switch to the Details view style:
Remote Utilities 6.12 Beta - 10 Mar 2020 12:45:11

One of these times I'll record the process of what it goes through compared to other services in terms of initial connection time.

Of course, please feel free to send it to us to support@remoteutilities.com.

Install RUT using a silent installer made against 6.10.3. When I went to add the code in 6.12.1, it said I needed to use the same Viewer version as what was used to generate it! Jeepers, that is another strike against the silent installer feature. If I had installed the silent installer, got home and then got this message without an opportunity to manually se t a new password so I could manually add to the Viewer, I probably would just give up on RUT right then and there and move to another solution. Try and only break backwards compatibility on major versions, not on minor versions, I beg you!

I apologize for the inconvenience. We try to maintain as much backward compatibility as possible with each update because we understand that our customers might not be able to update remote Hosts all at once. Besides, we even advise updating remote Hosts in small increments and first test the update procedure on a small sample.  There is backward compatibility, however, it's always better to upgrade both Viewer and Host and avoid relying on it.

As for the issue itself - could you please clarify if the issue occurred on another Viewer machine instead of the one where the installation package was configured? If this is the case, you simply need to copy the keys.dat file which is an encryption key to the Viewer machine where you want to use the Add using code feature. This file is located in the C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files\ folder on the computer where you originally configured the installation package.
Please try copying this file and pasting it to the same C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files\ folder on the Viewer PC where you want to use the Add using code feature.
Here's a related KB article.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)