Community

Can I remotely upgrade a Windows 7 pc to Windows 10?

Links used in this discussion
R C, User (Posts: 3)
Mar 18, 2020 8:36:41 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi, I have Remote Utilities Viewer installed on my pc here and I have it installed as host on a Windows 7 pc in another country. I want to upgrade that Windows 7 pc to Windows 10. Will Remote Utilities allow me to complete the installation, ie will it allow me to connect again automatically once Windows 10 is installed? There will be nobody physically at the machine to do anything so it all has to be done remotely.
Host and Viewer are on Remote Utilities 6.10.10.0
Thanks
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
Mar 18, 2020 5:31:30 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Will Remote Utilities allow me to complete the installation, ie will it allow me to connect again automatically once Windows 10 is installed?

It should be possible to launch the Windows upgrade process and connect to the remote Host afterward - the Host service is restarted automatically as a background service upon the Windows startup after the updating process is finished, so you should be able to establish a connection to a remote Host. However, please make sure that the Host service on the remote machine does start automatically after the system restart - the Host service's startup mode should be set to Auto in the Host Settings -> Service state tab. In case if the Host service won't start please refer to this troubleshooting guide.
In addition, we highly recommend that you add the Host installation path to your antivirus software exceptions list.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)