Community

[viewer 6.10] black screen

Links used in this discussion
Christophe, User (Posts: 3)
Mar 26, 2020 7:14:59 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi,

Since yesterday afternoon, I have trouble getting access to my office computer from my home laptop.
The viewer shows the office computer as "Logged on" (in full control mode) and displays a thumbnail preview of the screen. The separate window that should display the remote screen content remains desperately black.
Both computers have only one monitor (so can't be a question of showing the wrong monitor), both run Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909, the office machine runs Host 6.10.10, and the home laptop runs Viewer 6.10.10. Everything was working just fine earlier this week, there has been no update/change on any of the machines, and I am using a Free license.
Thanks for your help diagnosing/resolving the issue.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 27, 2020 12:23:29 pm EDT
Hello Christophe,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please double-check if you have the Monitor driver installed on the remote Host machine? This can be checked in the Host settings on the Driver tab.
In case if the Monitor driver is installed, please try uninstalling it and see if this helps to resolve the issue.

In addition, please try referring to this KB troubleshooting guide.

Please let us know if the issue persists.
Mar 27, 2020 3:25:49 pm EDT
Thank you Polina,

Step by step troubleshooting:
-The monitor driver is not installed.
-All the connection modes are enabled.
-I am the only user and am properly authorized to connect.
-Both machines already use the latest version of Host/Viewer.
-Using "Legacy capture mode" results in the messages "loading remote screen" and "connection interrupted..." looping without ever managing to display anything for several minutes, and then the remote host went offline and hasn't come back up yet (already 10 minutes).

I will continue the troubleshooting and post an update once it comes back online (I might end up having to physically get over there to see what's going on if it doesn't get back up soon).
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 27, 2020 6:23:02 pm EDT
Hello Christophe,

Thank you for the clarification.

Of course, please feel free to update us if there are more details on the issue.
In addition, please try updating Remote Utilities to the 6.12 Beta 1 version and see if this helps to resolve the issue. The 6.12 Beta 1 version is available for the download here.
When updating Remote Utilities please make sure to update both Viewer and Host/Agent as the version mismatch might lead to performance issues and some features not working.

Looking forward to your reply.
Mar 27, 2020 8:32:07 pm EDT
Problem solved for now, not sure what it was.

When I made it to the office, the host computer was up and running, but the Host program icon in the system tray was red and disappeared as soon as I hovered over it. I relaunched the Host program and that allowed me to connect just fine.

The Legacy Capture Mode is activated, that's the only difference in configuration between now and before, but it was working earlier with this mode being inactive, so no idea what the issue really was.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Mar 28, 2020 4:50:51 am EDT
Hi Christophe,

Sometimes, the computer restart or Host restart is needed when you have the black screen issue. We recommend restart the Host PC after the Host is installed.

Thanks.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)