Community

[ Closed ] Remote Utilities 6.12 Beta

Links used in this discussion
MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 68)
Mar 10, 2020 9:04:01 pm EDT

Polina Krasnoborceva wrote:

Hello Max,

Thank you for the provided details.

Could you please let us know if you have tried adjusting the touchpad settings or updating the mouse software on the Viewer's side?
Unfortunately, we cannot reproduce the issue which means that it only manifests itself in certain circumstances.

This is on a desktop PC to other Desktop PC's, no touchpad controls. Mouse is a Logitech M705. I'll let you know if I can reproduce on other PC's.

So then this pop up happens some time later

Could you please clarify if you mean the First connection warning  window? If this is the case, then we are considering the revamp of the First connection warning window along with some other features. However, unfortunately, we cannot provide any specific ETA on this yet.

Yes, that one. I will stop using this feature.

I'm checking the host version (because its not shown in the Viewer, for example)

Actually, it's also possible to check the Host version in the Viewer if you switch to the Details view style:

Yes, that is my preferred view I use all the time but a lot of the hosts have blank boxes or out of date. I'm in the process of migrating to a new computer and have my new and old PC side by side. They are using same synchronized address books. Some don't show the same versions for the same hosts. Some don't show any version for some hosts in one viewer and not the other. It's not a reliable place to confirm actual versions. Right now, my new PC has yellow exclamation marks next to 5/7 cloud address books and the old PC, also running viewer 6.12.1, has no yellow exclamation marks on any of the address books.

Install RUT using a silent installer made against 6.10.3. When I went to add the code in 6.12.1, it said I needed to use the same Viewer version as what was used to generate it! Jeepers, that is another strike against the silent installer feature. If I had installed the silent installer, got home and then got this message without an opportunity to manually se t a new password so I could manually add to the Viewer, I probably would just give up on RUT right then and there and move to another solution. Try and only break backwards compatibility on major versions, not on minor versions, I beg you!

I apologize for the inconvenience. We try to maintain as much backward compatibility as possible with each update because we understand that our customers might not be able to update remote Hosts all at once. Besides, we even advise updating remote Hosts in small increments and first test the update procedure on a small sample. There is backward compatibility, however, it's always better to upgrade both Viewer and Host and avoid relying on it.

As for the issue itself - could you please clarify if the issue occurred on another Viewer machine instead of the one where the installation package was configured? If this is the case, you simply need to copy the  keys.dat  file which is an  encryption key  to the Viewer machine where you want to use the  Add using code  feature. This file is located in the  C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files\  folder on the computer where you originally configured the installation package.
Please try copying this file and pasting it to the same  C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files\  folder on the Viewer PC where you want to use the  Add using code  feature.
Here's a related  KB article .

Looking forward to your reply.

Now that you mention this, I somewhat recall this limitation when making the silent installer - it's just been so long ago that I last generated it that I forgot. I knew to migrate relay server settings, but on the Viewer side I was only thinking of synchronized address books and that didn't need to be backed up/restored when migrating Viewer PC's.  And now that I know that was the issue, the message pretty much says that, and I just didn't clue in. doh. Only thing to add to that help page, was that after I pasted over the keys.dat file, I had to close and reopen the Viewer to get the Add Code box to appear again. It was appearing before I pasted the keys.dat file but wouldn't appear again until I restarted the Viewer. Then I could add the code.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 11, 2020 10:57:43 am EDT
Hello Max,

This is on a desktop PC to other Desktop PC's, no touchpad controls. Mouse is a Logitech M705. I'll let you know if I can reproduce on other PC's.

Of course, please feel free to update us if the issue can be reproduced on another machine or using another mouse.

They are using same synchronized address books. Some don't show the same versions for the same hosts. Some don't show any version for some hosts in one viewer and not the other. It's not a reliable place to confirm actual versions. Right now, my new PC has yellow exclamation marks next to 5/7 cloud address books and the old PC, also running viewer 6.12.1, has no yellow exclamation marks on any of the address books.

Could you please clarify if you have logged on to these remote Hosts? Currently, information about the updated Host version becomes available in the address book during the Simple Update process, however, it's only confirmed after the Viewer logs in or connects to the remote Host.
In our future updates, we'll make the program update Hosts' version information immediately during the online status check without the user having to log in on the Hosts at all. Could you please check if logging on or connecting to the remote Host resolves the issue?

Only thing to add to that help page, was that after I pasted over the keys.dat file, I had to close and reopen the Viewer to get the Add Code box to appear again. It was appearing before I pasted the keys.dat file but wouldn't appear again until I restarted the Viewer. Then I could add the code.

Thank you for your input. I will forward this to my coworkers and ask them to add the information about restarting the Viewer after copying the keys.dat file.

ruabc, User (Posts: 3)
Apr 30, 2020 6:09:52 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Gentlemen,

There must be an option to discard same screen shots in screen recorder.

I have seen this option in [censored].

You must add this option to save disk space and to limit log file size with respect to time.

It is very strange not to have this option.

Thanking you.
ruabc
May 06, 2020 1:28:07 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I'll forward this to our development department for a review to see if we can add this feature in our future updates.

You must add this option to save disk space and to limit log file size with respect to time.

Actually, there is already a feature that allows limiting the size of created screenshots as well as specifying the life span of the screenshots. It can be set up in the Options menu of the Screen Recorder window, Settings tab, Limits section:
Remote Utilities 6.12 Beta - 06 May 2020 01:26:21

For more information on Screen recorder options, please see this Documentation page: https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/screen-recorder/#Settings_tab

Hope that helps.
Pepa Kokes, User (Posts: 32)
May 08, 2020 6:28:12 am EDT
I did just try to upgrade from Host version 6.10.10 to 6.12 beta 2. Everything went far in that I can still connect fine and remote control works, but for some reason the image quality went way down: It seems that the screen from a 6.12 host is only sent in 256 colors rather than whatever is set in the connection properties (65536 by default on my setup, but as far as I can tell, that setting has no effect now). It seems that the fault lies with the Host (installable) rather than the viewer, because the 6.12 viewer displays fine when connected to 6.10.10, but once I upgrade the host to 6.12, I only get 256 colors.
May 08, 2020 1:44:40 pm EDT
Hello Pepa,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, we couldn't reproduce the issue. Could you please provide us screenshots of the remote screen so the issue could be seen? Namely, the best screenshot would be the one captured in the Full Control window when connected to a remote Host, version 6.12 Beta 2 with an opened Properties window (it can be opened from Toolbar in the Full Control window), Color and CPU tab (for example please see the screenshot):
Remote Utilities 6.12 Beta - 08 May 2020 01:06:12

You can attach the screenshot here or send it to support@remoteutilities.com.

May 09, 2020 3:46:03 am EDT
Screenshots sent. Note that before I installed beta, both directions looked the same, after discounting different screen sizes, of course.
May 12, 2020 1:20:46 pm EDT
Hello Pepa,

Thank you for the provided screenshots.

I'll forward the issue to our development department and ask for their input on this.

I'll get back to you with their reply soon.
May 13, 2020 1:59:42 pm EDT
Hello Pepa,

Thank you for your patience.

I've checked with our developers on the issue. The issue is caused by the Blank the Host's screen feature as the technology for the blank remote screen mechanism was replaced with a new mechanism that affects the color format. Please try disabling the Blank the Host's screen option and see if this helps to resolve the issue.

Let me know if the issue persists.
May 13, 2020 2:04:26 pm EDT
If I disable screen blanking, the colors are back to normal. Can the feature be fixed so that it supports blanking while keeping the colors?

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)