Community

[ Closed ] Remote Utilities 6.12 Beta

Links used in this discussion
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
May 13, 2020 4:21:26 pm EDT
Hello Pepa,

I'm glad to hear it works for you now!

Unfortunately, we do not plan to fix this as it's caused by a blank screen mechanism specific features. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if you have more questions.
Pepa Kokes, User (Posts: 32)
May 16, 2020 1:38:41 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Presumably there are some reasons for this limitation, but I find it very strange. It seems to make screen blanking pretty much unusable. Wasn't it better to use the old implementation with a dedicated driver then?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
May 16, 2020 4:31:35 am EDT
Hello Pepa,

The primary reason is that the "driver method" is outdated and soon won't be supported by Windows at all. Besides, the new method is more versatile - namely, it will work on laptops without blocking out the brightness controls (whereas the driver method has such problem).

Yes, there are downsides like the degraded colors when you enable the blanking remote screen, but with further updates we'll see how we can improve that.
ruabc, User (Posts: 3)
May 16, 2020 2:48:08 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Thanks Polina for your reply.

I have been using your suggestion to reduce screenshot recorded file size, but it did not help because of recording so many identical screenshots for long time makes the recorded files huge and difficult to review.

Please think seriously about adding the option to discard identical screenshots.

Thanking you.
Peter Gray, User (Posts: 48)
May 17, 2020 8:18:43 am EDT
Support level: Starter
Over the past couple of days I have tried using using version 6.12 Beta 2 Viewer.  It has not been a happy process!
Having installed the viewer on an XP pro machine which had version 6.1010.0 working fine, I found that my address book and so forth had not been carried over to the new version (and nor had my licence).  I turns out that 6.12 stores these settings in the user's application data in a folder Remote Manipulator Files whereas 6.10 uses Remote Utilities Files.
After copying the data across, I had the address book back, but a side effect was that the free trial period had expired.  On trying to install my licence code, I got a message "Attention Invalid registration key"  The key worked fine on a different machine which still had version 6.10.10.0.
So I uninstalled 6.12.  The uninstall progress window showed gibberish symbols instead of text!
I Reinstalled 6.10.10.0, and fortunately all was back to how it had been previously.
I then tried installing the beta on a Windows 7 machine which had not halready had the viewer installed.  This too would not accept the licence key.
So for me, version 6.12 beta 2 is completely unusable as it stands.
MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 68)
May 17, 2020 11:39:28 pm EDT

Peter Gray wrote:

Over the past couple of days I have tried using using version 6.12 Beta 2 Viewer.  It has not been a happy process!
Having installed the viewer on an XP pro machine which had version 6.1010.0 working fine, I found that my address book and so forth had not been carried over to the new version (and nor had my licence).  I turns out that 6.12 stores these settings in the user's application data in a folder Remote Manipulator Files whereas 6.10 uses Remote Utilities Files.
After copying the data across, I had the address book back, but a side effect was that the free trial period had expired.  On trying to install my licence code, I got a message "Attention Invalid registration key"  The key worked fine on a different machine which still had version 6.10.10.0.
So I uninstalled 6.12.  The uninstall progress window showed gibberish symbols instead of text!
I Reinstalled 6.10.10.0, and fortunately all was back to how it had been previously.
I then tried installing the beta on a Windows 7 machine which had not halready had the viewer installed.  This too would not accept the licence key.
So for me, version 6.12 beta 2 is completely unusable as it stands.

Went to upgrade from 6.12b1 to 6.12b2 and lost registration and address books as well. Went to put in registration and also got invalid registration key error. Uninstalled (I didn't have any gibberish) and reinstalled previous 6.12b1 to get registration and address books (address book sync still broken on this machine so I'm giving up on RUT now).

I thought that after nearly two weeks after the b2 was posted, this SHOWSTOPPER bug would have been found and the b2 pulled by now, so pretty annoyed to have run into it myself today.
May 18, 2020 11:37:17 am EDT
Hello Peter and Max,

Thank you for your feedback.

We've managed to reproduce the issue and implemented a quick fix for it. We apologize for the caused inconvenience.

An updated build of version 6.12 Beta 2 is available on this page. Please try updating your Viewer and see if the issue persists.

MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 68)
May 18, 2020 2:41:19 pm EDT

Polina Krasnoborceva wrote:

Hello Peter and Max,

We've managed to reproduce the issue and implemented a quick fix for it. We apologize for the caused inconvenience.

An updated build of version 6.12 Beta 2 is available on  this page . Please try updating your Viewer and see if the issue persists.

Polina,

The newest version updated and address books and registration worked.

But I would strongly suggest letting your developer know that they should increment the version string instead of re-releasing under same version.  That is just a no-no. We always had a saying, "numbers are free".
Edited:MaxBlitzer - May 18, 2020 2:43:33 pm EDT
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
May 18, 2020 3:18:29 pm EDT
Hello Max,

Thank you for your suggestion.

However, this specific "bug" was just something we overlooked on the building stage rather than a bug in the program itself (related to its functionality, that is). So we decided to keep it the same number.
May 18, 2020 5:13:05 pm EDT
Hello ruabc,

We plan to completely revamp the Screen Recorder mode in our future updates and implement more features, including a feature that would filter and remove duplicated screenshots. Unfortunately, we cannot provide any specific ETA on this yet.

Please let us know if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)