Community

RU crashes, when opening Thunderbird on remote site

Links used in this discussion
Knut Singer, User (Posts: 8)
May 06, 2020 9:36:17 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi,

I've installed and registered the free 10-PC version of RU, the latest non-beta version for windows, 6.10.10.0.

Additional to the Viewer I have installed the Remote PC Server on my PC (with a port forwarding to it). Also I have created my own predefined agent for the remote users.

Everything worked out of the box very nice and easy.

But there is one problem:
If I open "Thunderbird" (newest Version) on the remote PCs, then I cannot do anything with Thunderbird on the remote site - it is frozen from my site and a little bit later RDP throws an error message, that it is broken.

Then I have to close the RU Remote Window on my PC and re-establish the connection to the remote PC.
But - I never should touch Thunderbird - then the same misbehaviour would repeat.

I had this problem with both remote users in the last days.
With  [censored] everything works fine with Thunderbird.
And on the other side: Everything else, with the exception of Thunderbird, works fine in RU.

Any idea, what the reason could be? How can I add an account in Thunderbird via RU?

Thank you very much
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2836)
May 06, 2020 5:59:51 pm EDT
Hello Knut,

Thank you for your kind words.

Unfortunately, we could not reproduce the issue - the connection is not interrupted when Thunderbird is running and can be controlled on the remote Host machine just like any other software.

Please let me know if I'm right in assuming that you use RDP or RDP-over-ID connection methods?

Looking forward to your reply.
May 07, 2020 8:43:32 am EDT
Thank you for your quick answer.

In both cases I it was not a "direct" RDP Connection in the Microsoft way.
Also I did not start the RU-Connection via the Credentials, I received per E-Mail from the host (remote user).
(I don't want users to feel having no control, when I log in via the credentials, that I receiv via E-Mail).
So, I started the connection by internet-id and Password, that I was told from the user by phone. RDP was started by RU.

And, maybe this is important:
On the remote machine not an installed host is running, but my own modified "agent.exe", executed by the remote user. Both users had admin rights, but when starting the agent, both of them had to admit to the UAC (what they did).

Thank you in advance..
Edited:Knut Singer - May 07, 2020 9:13:15 am EDT
May 07, 2020 12:37:34 pm EDT
Hello Knut,

Thank you for the details.

Could you please try connecting to the remote Host machine using the Full Control and View connection mode and see if the issue persists? Also, if possible, please try connecting to the remote Hosts from another Viewer (preferably on another machine, or you can use the Portable Viewer) and check if the same issue occurs.

Additionally, please send us the log files from both remote Hosts for examination. The Host logs are located in the following folder: Connection logs — C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\Logs\
You can send the log files to support@remoteutilities.com.

Looking forward to your reply.
Jun 20, 2020 10:25:06 am EDT
Hello, and sorry for the long delay.

In the meantime I figured out, that thunderbird is not the reason for the problem.

The problem is very simple:

It happens about every ca. 10 to 20 minutes, that the RDP-connection gets broken. The effect is, that the RU Remote Window on my side freezes (often without a message).

All I have to do now, is: Close the window and doubleclick the connection to open a new window.

Then - maybe this was my problem in the beginning:
I have to enable my mouse on the top of the RU window to go on, as the mouse is enabled by default in the first session only.

So, everything is fine for me now:

In case of a frozen screen I only have to:
- close the screen
- start a new connection (internet-id and password are still the same, so no action of the remote user is needed)
- enable the mouse

.. and I can work on.

I don't have these problems with original Microsoft RDP-Sessions via VPN nor with T....
Edited:Knut Singer - Jun 20, 2020 9:19:33 pm EDT
Jun 22, 2020 1:08:26 pm EDT
Hello Knut,

Thank you for your message and the provided details.

Perhaps, the issue might be caused by some minor connectivity issues and occurs when sometimes a brief disconnection occurs and the reconnection mechanism does not work as expected.

However, the issue might be less severe in the latest 6.12 Beta 2 version. Could you please try updating Remote Utilities to the latest 6.12 Beta 2 version and see if it makes any difference? The 6.12 Beta 2 version is available for the download on this page.
When updating Remote Utilities please make sure to update both Viewer and Host/Agent - in your case you will be able to generate a new Agent of the latest version using the updated Viewer (or you can try using the vanilla Agent).
Besides, we're going to further improve the reconnection mechanism in our subsequent updates as well, perhaps even completely change it.

Hope that helps.
Jun 22, 2020 4:56:51 pm EDT
Hello Polina,

is it possible to add my own text and logo into the agent of the beta?

Thank you,
Knut
Jun 22, 2020 5:56:23 pm EDT
Hello Knut,

Yes, 6.12 Beta 2 is a fully-functional version of Remote Utilities, so the Agent can be customized just like in the previous versions. Agent customization is available on Step 3 - Advanced options of the Configuration process, on the Integrate your logo tab.

Please let us know if you have more questions.
Jun 23, 2020 11:34:12 am EDT
Hello Polina,

yes, I have an additional question about the beta:

If i upgrade the viewer and the server on my side and configure new agents, are the old agents still working?
Edited:Knut Singer - Jun 23, 2020 12:37:39 pm EDT
Jun 23, 2020 1:52:35 pm EDT
Hello Knut,

If i upgrade the viewer and the server on my side and configure new agents, are the old agents still working?

Yes, the old Agents/Host installations will all work. We try to maintain as much backward compatibility as possible with each update, so you should be able to connect from newer Viewer to older Hosts (but not vice versa).

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)