New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Blank screen issues...

Links used in this discussion
Darren Rose, User (Posts: 3)
Jul 07, 2020 8:51:41 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Blank screen option doesn't blank external VGA screen on laptop - the main laptop screen blanks fine, but not the monitor connected via VGA

Also blank screen just showing black screen and not showing the custom text I entered

Have checked monitor driver is installed, and tried legacy capture mode as per other posts
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jul 07, 2020 9:48:31 am EDT
Hello Darren,

Thank you for your message.

Am I right in assuming that you use the 6.10.10.0 version of Remote Utilities? If this is the case, then could you please try updating your installation to the most recent 6.12 Beta 2 version and see if the blank screen option works for the external monitor this way and if you're able to see the custom text? In the 6.12 Beta 2 version, we have implemented a new blank remote screen mechanism that completely replaced the old driver-based mechanism and which allows adding a custom text to the remote screen when it is blanked. For more information on the release notes please see this page.

When updating Remote Utilities, please make sure to update both Viewer and Host/Agent (as well as the RU Server if used) as the version mismatch might lead to performance issues and some features not working. The 6.12 Beta 2 version is available for the download on this page.

Please let us know if the issue persists even after updating to the 6.12 Beta 2 version.
Jul 07, 2020 10:10:10 am EDT
Hi Polina, thank you very much for your prompt response

I can confirm the blank screen (and message) works fine and on all connected external monitors in 6.12 beta 2

The only issue is that when screens are blanked it seems to have reduced the color depth in the viewer as per screenshot attached, so screens don't look very nice, would be handy if this could be resolved - happy to test anything you need
Attached Files
Blank screen issues...
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jul 07, 2020 11:36:26 am EDT
Hello Darren,

I'm glad to hear I was able to help!

This is a known issue that is caused by a blank screen mechanism specific features. Unfortunately, the "driver method" is outdated and soon won't be supported by Windows at all. Besides, the new method is more versatile - namely, it works on laptops without blocking out the brightness controls (whereas the driver method has such a problem).

Unfortunately, there are some downsides like the degraded colors when the blank remote screen feature is enabled. However, we'll see how we can improve the feature in our future updates.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Jul 07, 2020 11:40:26 am EDT
okay thanks - if that could at least be improved it would be perfect :)

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)