New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Windows 10 2004 Update

Links used in this discussion
tech@waterbrook.org, User (Posts: 18)
Jul 13, 2020 8:19:55 pm EDT
Support level: Starter
So a few things I tried.

1) Ran the viewer from three different computers. Two @ Windows 7 (6.12.2.0 & 6.10.10.0 respectively), One @ Windows server 2016 (6.10.10.0)
Same results seen from all three computer viewers. The Start menu icons are small. If I connect to other machines from these same viewers mentioned above running Windows 10 w/1909 (not upgraded to 2004 patch), start menu is fine (not shrunk).

2) Added path exception for the HOST (it is only running MS Defender at the moment). Same for the viewers on the three machines mentioned above.

3) All video drivers are up to date/latest.

I have not yet upgraded the other two Windows 10 w/1909 machines to the 2004 patch. Sort of concerned of loosing functionality with RU when I do that (The icons are so small, it's almost impossible to navigate).

Thanks,

James
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jul 14, 2020 11:12:29 am EDT
Hello James,

Thank you for such a detailed response.

I've forwarded the issue to our developers - we will try to reproduce it to see if there's anything we can do to fix the issue.

I'll get back to you soon with an update on this. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Jul 20, 2020 5:42:44 pm EDT
Hello James,

Thank you for your patience.

I checked with our developers on the issue. Unfortunately, we couldn't reproduce the issue - perhaps, it was caused by the Windows upgrade being somehow corrupted or damaged. The reason you see the Start menu in a normal size when using RDP is that RDP works in a terminal session while Remote Utilities works in a console session and displays exactly what is shown on a remote machine.

Unfortunately, according to our Support Policy, we cannot assist in resolving hardware/third-party software and system administration issues. However, we might recommend that you try reinstalling the latest Windows update.

Please let us know if you have more questions.
Jul 24, 2020 10:55:37 am EDT
Thanks Polina.

I went ahead and did an update on another Windows 10 platform to the 2004 patch. I did not have the issues as mentioned above.

For reference of the workstation in question, it was a:
Dell Latitude E5540, 12 GB, 256 GB SSD
Windows 10 Pro w/patch 2004
- Intel HD 4400 graphics card

Thanks,

James
Jul 24, 2020 5:13:25 pm EDT
Hello James,

Thank you for the update.

I went ahead and did an update on another Windows 10 platform to the 2004 patch. I did not have the issues as mentioned above.

Yes, this confirms that the issue was probably caused by a faulty Windows Update that simply wasn't installed correctly or, perhaps, was somehow corrupted during or after installation. You might try reinstalling the latest 2004 patch update for Windows 10 and see if this helps to resolve the issue.

Please feel free to post another message if you have more questions.
Jul 24, 2020 5:32:39 pm EDT
Thanks.

So for what it is worth, when this issue occurred, one of the things I did do was to wipe and reload Windows 10 fr om scratch. Updates ran that brought it up to 2004. So, something in the 2004 patch, along with the particular integrated display card is wh ere it all goes south.

What will be interesting is that I do have another identical laptop (latitude E5540) currently on Windows 7. I will be upgrading that as well to Windows 10, and will see if the same behaviour is exibited.

Thanks again...
Edited:tech@waterbrook.org - Jul 24, 2020 5:33:45 pm EDT
Jul 27, 2020 11:53:09 am EDT
Hello James,

I'm glad to hear you've figured out the issue!

Please feel free to post another message if you have more questions.
Aug 20, 2020 10:12:05 am EDT
Hi Polina,

Hate to bring this up again however, have another machine upgraded to the 2004 patch, with a Dell laptop that is new(er) (Inspiron 5570). Now exhibiting same.similar issues as with the older laptops mentioned earlier.
The Start menu is very small.
Windows 10 2004 Update - 20 Aug 2020 09:56:04
If I have a page of information that requires scrolling, while I can attempt to scroll, the page does not move (the scroll bar to the right does move down, the the static information does not move up.
Windows 10 2004 Update - 20 Aug 2020 09:54:21

Notes:
Viewer 6.12.2.0 beta running on Windows 7 as well as tried from a 2016 server
Host 6.12.2.0 beta running Windows 10 w/ patch 2004
- Use legacy capture mode checked (if not, all I get is a black screen on remote connects)

Now, RDP works just fine:
Windows 10 2004 Update - 20 Aug 2020 10:03:28
As well as scrolling:
Windows 10 2004 Update - 20 Aug 2020 10:08:56

Finally, I also Remoting into other windows 10 PC (Dell) with 1909 patch (not 2004 updated, works fine).
It all seems to stem from the 2004 patch, and I cannot roll it back (MS gives only a 10 day rollback period, and I missed that timeline).

Thanks,

James
Aug 20, 2020 1:38:14 pm EDT
Hello James,

Thank you for the update on this.

Could you please clarify if the Windows Start menu is displayed in the same reduced size on the remote machine's display itself as it's displayed in the remote session window (i.e. on these machines where the issue occurs)?

In addition, could you please let us know if the graphics card on the machines where the issue occurs is the same or from the same manufacturer? If possible, then could you please provide us specific graphics card models?

Looking forward to your reply.
Aug 20, 2020 9:30:54 pm EDT
So the systems in reference are at a church (I volunteer as the "IT guy"). I had to go "on site" to take a look at the screens to see what they physically displayed. What I found was that the lids of the laptops are normally closed, so I have to open the lid to see the screen. What I found out is that this appears to be a condition that will cause the aforementioned issue.

When opening the lid, the screen comes on, and the menu etc all looks and performs normal. I remoted from another machine to test the laptops and confirmed, the screens work if the lid to the laptop is kept open however, if the lid is closed, and then I remote to the machine, the start menu (and scrolling issues) appear.

For the Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop associated video card, Device manager tells me it is an Intel UHD 620 adapter:
Windows 10 2004 Update - 20 Aug 2020 09:19:08

The other laptop (the older one, Dell Latitude E5540) just states Intel HD Graphics Family:
Windows 10 2004 Update - 20 Aug 2020 09:23:53

So, I am not sure what else to say here. Obviously orientation of the hardware (lid open versus closed) is what is affecting it, just not sure why this seem to appear after the 2004 update. Since most of my laptops are connected to a flat panel, they are left in the closed positions almost all the time.

Thanks...

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)